13. Confessions

The Next Day

"Tikki, spots off."

Marinette peeks her head out of the alley and looks both ways before she steps out. She hands her kwami a macaroon and starts walking in the direction towards school.

There was, yet, another akuma attack around six a.m. before school, so Marinette didn't have time to get ready. So, here she was, going to school in her pajamas. She thought about stopping at home to change, but if she got one more late tardy, she'd spend her weekend in detention.

"This is so embarrassing, Tikki," She whispers to her purse. "I can't believe I'm going to school in my pajamas!"

"Don't you have some gym clothes in your locker?"

"Gross and sweaty gym clothes, you mean? I'd rather stay in what I have on."

Her kwami sighed. "Your choice, Marinette."

The wind nips at her bare shoulders and she hugs herself. Soon enough, the school building comes into view and she checks her phone. For once, she's actually on time.

As Marinette crosses the street and heads up the front steps, two reporters jump out in front of her, shoving a microphone and a camera in her face. "Oh! Ah, where did you guys come from?!" She screams as she trips over her shoe and loses her balance, falling back, and she lands on her side against the bottom step.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng, is it true that you and Adrien Agreste are an item now?!" The invasive reporter shouts as she moves the microphone closer.

Her eyes widen. "What?! No! Adrien and Kagami are—"

"Adrien Agreste and Kagami Tsurgi have broken up! It's all over the news!"

They broke up?! "W-What are you talking about?"

"Fans speculate that you're the cause of their separation, after that photo of you and Adrien kissing went viral! Can you confirm?"

Marinette steps back. She didn't need this invasion of privacy right now. "I-I have no comment. I need to get to school—"

"With Kagami out of the way, you and Adrien have a chance to become Paris' new sweethearts!"

"I have a boyfriend, and his name is Luka Couffaine!" Marinette shouts, glaring at the camera. "Now leave me alone!"

"Hey, I'm not done yet!" The reporter shouts as she chases after the girl. "This is for my exclusive interview." She leaps forward and grabs her wrist, digging her fingers into her skin.

Marinette tries to shove her arm back, but it doesn't budge. "Let go of me!"

"I need my interview!"

Cat Noir drops down and extends his staff out, pushing the reporter a few feet back. He takes a protective stance in front of Marinette. "I believe the lady said she was done!"

"Cat Noir..." Marinette whispers, happy to see him, even though she had a few minutes ago.

Her partner was still transformed because he was being chased my fans, and he couldn't risk revealing his secret identity. Funny how he has fans as a model and superhero.