12. Ultimatum

The Next Day

Kagami dodges Adrien's attack and leaps out of the way before his saber can touch her. They're spending an extra hour at fencing practice time perfect both of their skills, but the model's been out of focus all day.

"Is your head stuck in the clouds?" Kagami asks as she jumps forward and with a single touch of her blade, she takes the win.

Adrien takes off his mask and stares at his girlfriend. "Good game, Kagami. You really deserved the victory."

"It wasn't much of a victory when my opponent wasn't playing at his full strength." Kagami steps forward and rests her hand on his shoulder. "Have you given any thought to our conversation from yesterday?"

"I... I need some water." He turns around and retreats to the locker room.

All night he tossed and turned thinking about Kagami's ultimatum. Either her or Marinette. How could he choose between them?

"Adrien!" Kagami chases after him. "You can't avoid this forever."

"It's not fair!" Adrien shouts as he spins around to face her. "It's not fair for you to give me an ultimatum when what happened between me and Marinette was a misunderstanding!"

"A misunderstanding?!"

"It was just a goodbye kiss on the cheek! I don't know what the big deal is!"

Kagami's crying again and through harsh tears, she glares at Adrien. "Because Marinette had feelings for you! She's been in love with you for so long, and even though she's with Luka now, I know there's a part of her that still cares about you, that still... loves you."

Adrien's eyes widen. "W-What?!" Marinette's in love with me... or was? "Kagami—"

"I've always known that you care deeply about her, from the very first day I met you. I know she holds a special place in your heart. But I..." Kagami places a hand on Adrien's chest, near his heart. "But I am your girlfriend and I should hold a much bigger priority! Do I not?!"

"I..." Adrien reaches his hand out and scratches the back of his neck. "I don't know."

Kagami steps back. "You don't know?! What is wrong with you?!" She raises her arm to smack him across the face, but stops herself. More hot tears pour down her cheeks and she closes her eyes tight. "I love you with all that I am, Adrien Agreste. Isn't that enough?"

"I... I can't lose Marinette."

"So, you'll lose me?"

Adrien doesn't answer her.

She nods. "I knew it."

"Kagami—"

"From the very start, it's always been Marinette. Another girl has always been in your heart and I never stood a chance."

Adrien stares down at his ring. But I'm not in love with Marinette! I loved Ladybug first, and then Kagami, but Marinette? She's just a... "I—"

"You don't need to explain anything, Adrien. I understand it all now." Kagami packs up her things and throws the strap of her duffel bag over her shoulder. "If it wasn't obvious you naive, clueless, lovestruck fool, we're done. I'm breaking up with you."

He expected as much. "I'm sorry."

"It's too late for apologies now."

"Still, I am."

Kagami heads for the door and stops. With her back still turned, she says, "You know what the difference between us is, Adrien? I loved you too early and you loved me too late. Ironically, it's the same way with you and Marinette. You had your chance and she's with Luka now. If you truly love Marinette, let her be happy. Let her have the chance you couldn't give her." She glances back at Adrien. "At least one of us deserves that."

Adrien sits on the bench, shoulders slumped forward, and he cries into his hands. How could I let this happen? How could I let her go so easily?

Plagg peeks out from his school bag. "Are you okay, kid?"

"No... yes... I don't know..." Adrien wipes under her eyes. "On the one hand, I feel bad for how things with Kagami ended, but... I also feel relieved."

"You break that poor girl's heart and you're okay with that?"

"I didn't mean to break Kagami's heart! It's just..." Adrien opens his phone and pulls up a picture of Marinette. "How could I lose one of my closest friends?"

Plagg looks at the picture of Marinette and then back up at his holder. "So, I heard Pigtails here has a crush on you."

"Had," He corrects. "She's with Luka now, remember?"

"What does that matter? You were with Kagami and you still loved Marinette."

"I don't love—" Adrien cuts himself off as his eyes widen.

The more he thought of it, the more it made sense.

Why Adrien felt jealous whenever he saw Marinette and Luka together.

Why he had sweet dreams of he and Marinette getting married and living a happy life together.

Why, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get the pigtailed girl out of his head.

"Just admit it, kid!" Plagg said with an eye roll. "You've had feelings for Marinette for a very long time."

Adrien stands with a smile. "You're right... I... I'm in love with Marinette Dupain-Cheng."