19. Always

The Next Day

Marinette walks across the bridge and finds Luka on the dock, sitting near the front of the boat. He's strumming his guitar, humming to himself. The sun shines bright above them and the wind blows strong, pushing loose hair in her face.

She stands still and closes her eyes, listening closely to Luka's sweet notes. She takes in a deep breath and smiles.

The music stops abruptly and she opens her eyes to see Luka staring at her. "Hey, M-M-M-Marinette."

The pigtailed girl laughs and sits beside him. "I'm going to miss hearing that," She whispers.

"Who says I have to stop?"

They share a sad look and both frown.

"You're here to break up with me," Luka states, strumming a different, heartbreaking note. "Am I right, Marinette?"

"Is it that obvious?" She whispers, twisting the ends of her hair.

"You've had a change in melody." Luka moves his hand and plays another note, this one more bold. "You've found the right one."

Marinette rests a hand on his shoulder. "I don't want to hurt you, Luka." She reaches in her purse and sets a black box in his hand, holding the matching charm necklace, ring, and bracelet he gave her. "I didn't mean to lie, either."

"You didn't," He assures her. "You just found out the truth."

"I found out why my heart's been so conflicted... and as much as it hurts to admit, I... I believe that me and Adrien have always been destined to find each other all this time," Marinette admits. It can simply be coincidence that Adrien and I are also Ladybug and Cat Noir. It's fate. "We always seem to be drawn to each other, no matter what, and the longer I ignored it, the more my heart ached. I finally faced my feelings and was able to admit to myself what I was afraid to all along."

"I'm glad you found your way, Marinette."

"I do love you, Luka, and I always will."

He smiles. "I know."

"Why are you making this so easy for me?" Marinette asks, confused. "I was freaking out on the way over here, overthinking every possible outcome to the conversation, how angry you would be, how heartbroken you'd become. Aren't you a little mad at me?"

"Why would I be mad? That you found your path in life and you're happy? I could never be mad about that."

Marinette tucks part of her bangs behind her ear. "I don't want you to find out through rumors and our friends, but—"

"Adrien, I know."

"Nothing's happened yet," She promises. We just had a long, long talk during patrol last night. "I wanted to work things out with you before..."

"You and Adrien start dating."

Marinette sighs. "Truth is, Luka, you deserve more, someone better than me. You deserve someone who thinks of you and only you. Someone who isn't confused about feelings or stuck on past crushes." She grabs his hand. "I know one day you're going to find the person to give you all of that, and I'll be so happy for you."

"Thank you, Marinette," Luka whispers with a sad smile. "It was fun while it lasted, huh?"

"You gave me some of the best months of my life and I'll never forget them." She leans forward and kisses his cheek. "I wish you nothing but the best, Luka."

"Friends?" He asks.

She smiles. "Friends."

"Always," They both whisper.

After parting ways, Marinette drives her scooter home. She feels a weight fade off her shoulders and now, she doesn't feel confused anymore.

She reaches the bakery and parks by the sidewalk. As she takes off her helmet, she sees a person standing by the front door, a large, jumbo bouquet concealing the person's face.

Marinette recognizes his orange shoes, though, and walks up to him with a laugh. She notices the different types of flowers—roses, lilies, tulips, forget-me-nots, and others she doesn't recognize—and leans forward to smell them.

Before Adrien can say anything, Marinette reaches across the garden in his arms and stands on her toes to kiss his nose.

"Do you go around kissing random strangers?" Adrien teases as he lowers his arms to his side, unmasking his face. "That's a bad way to start a relationship."

"I recognized your dorky shoes, actually," Marinette admits with a grin. She takes the flowers, struggling to hold it all, and smells them again. "They're beautiful, but where did you find so many flowers?"

"I bought out a flower shop," Adrien says casually with a shrug. "The owners were happy about that, at least, but they'll be closed for a few days until their new orders come in."

Marinette's eyes widen. "You bought out a flower shop... for me?"

"Was that not enough?" He asks, confused. "Nathalie said girls like flowers."

"No, it's enough," She says, laughing. "Thank you. I love them."

"You're welcome."

Marinette glances inside the bakery and finds her parents watching them, faces pressed into the glass. Her cheeks flush, embarrassed, and she turns towards him. "Uh, would you like to have lunch with me and my parents, Adrien?"

A big smile grows on his face. "I would love to."

"I was hoping you'd say yes."

"Here, let me get the door." Adrien opens the front door for her.

"Thank you." Marinette steps forward and leans in close to whisper, "I have to warn you, my father is very overbearing when it comes to boys, and he might suggest taking over the bakery with me... or marriage."

Adrien grins. "Both sound good to me."