17. Red Roses and Empty Sidewalks

"Marinette, we need to talk."

Her eyes widen as she slowly faces her boyfriend. Oh no, this is it! Luka's going to dump me! But why do I feel... relieved?

Guilt gnaws at her heart for feeling this way, but she can't understand why.

"Something's been off since I gave you that bracelet earlier," Luka says with a frown. "I can tell your heart and mind are conflicted about something. Was it too much, or superficial—"

"No!" She interrupts, shaking her head fast. "No, it's a beautiful gift. I don't care how much it cost. I love it because you saw it and you wanted to give it to me."

Luka tilts his head. "Is something else wrong, then? I feel your melody has changed. Has something happened recently to confuse you?"

Marinette scratches the back of her arm, nervous now, and admits, "A few weeks ago at school, Adrien confessed his feelings, that he's in love... with me."

Luka doesn't say anything.

"I-I told Adrien I was with you and that I love you, but—"

"You're thinking about Adrien a lot more now, about what could've happened between you two..." He whispers. "I get it. You were in love with him."

"I'm in love with you now, Luka."

"Then why does Adrien's confession change everything?"

Marinette frowns. "N-Nothing's changed! I'm still with you, Luka."

"Because I'm convenient."

"No—"

"And because you don't want to hurt my feelings," Luka cuts in.

She shakes her head. "You got it all wrong, Luka!"

"Do I, Marinette?" He asks.

She doesn't say anything.

Luka grabs her hand. "Marinette, there was a time in your life when Adrien meant everything to you, and those feelings aren't easy to part with. I'll understand if you still have some feelings left for Adrien—no matter how small—but if you're going to be with me, I deserve to have your attention, all your love. I don't want to worry if you're in love with a guy who isn't me. I deserve to know the truth."

"What truth, Luka?"

"If you can look me in the eye... and honestly tell me you're not in love with Adrien anymore... then I will apologize and drop the issue and work on being a better boyfriend."

Marinette takes in a deep breath and stares up at him. "You're right, Luka. I am confused. I loved Adrien for so long and when he admitted he felt the same way I did, it made me happy, and then it made me sad. He's too late; it's too late for us. Sure, the thought of being Adrien's girlfriend makes my heart race and old butterflies come back and I wonder how things would be if something changed between us, but I'm human, Luka. Feelings are complicated and awkward and you have to understand that Adrien is an important person in my life."

Luka stays quiet.

"You know what you're also right about? You deserve better, Luka. The best. You deserve the world," Marinette says, and he worries for a second she's about to say the words destined to break his heart. "I want to give it to you."

"That's not what I told you to say," He points out.

Marinette stands on her toes and gently cups his face with both hands. She kisses him and feels him smile against her lips. "I'm sorry I've been so confused and distant. I've been the worst girlfriend ever, huh?"

"Not at all," Luka tells her. "Like you said, Marinette, you're human, and feelings are complicated. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous that Adrien seems to get your attention more than I do, but I'm just glad you were able to sort out the conflict in your heart."

For now, Marinette thinks to herself, with a sad smile. She wraps her arms around and hugs him.

Across the street, Cat Noir watches Marinette and Luka, and thanks to his super hearing, he heard their entire conversation.

The bouquet of red roses falls from his hands to the sidewalk and the sad cat turns around and runs back to his lonely home.

Marinette hears a soft noise and looks up and across the street at the empty sidewalk. She notices the broken rose petals scattered and frowns. That's sad, no one got their flowers.

Luka kisses her forehead. "I should get back now, I have to help clean up."

"Right. Goodnight, Luka."

Marinette watches him bike off and unlocks the front door, going through the bakery and up inside to her house. Her parents are asleep on the couch, and she quietly slips up to her bedroom.

After changing into her pajamas, Marinette sets her phone down on the desk and yawns into her hand. "Huh?" She finally notices a pink box with a red bow beside her keyboard. "What's this?"

She unties the bow and pulls the lid off, setting it aside with the tissue paper. It's a... flash drive? Confused, she plugs it in to the side of her computer and sits down in her chair.

A video starts playing, aimed at the keys of a piano. A pair of hands appear and rest on the keys before a sweet note starts playing. She recognizes the song immediately. It's their song.

Her eyes widen. This is from Adrien? "When did he leave this here?" She wonders out loud, tilting her head.

A slide show starts, multiple pictures of Marinette times to the ballad. She recognizes some of the days these were taken on, and realizes Adrien must have gotten some of these from Alya. Theres pictures of Marinette with Adrien, Alya, Nino, and the rest of her classmates.

The video ends with a picture of Marinette laughing hysterically and Adrien looking on with love struck eyes.

Marinette finds herself smiling, and as she realizes, frowns. She finds a note in the box and grabs it, reading it.

Thanks for taking time away from your awesome party to talk to a jester like me, Princess. I really needed a friend. Happy birthday, Marinette.

She squints at the note, confused, and tries to remember when her and Adrien talked today. He didn't show up to her birthday party. She only talked to her friends and Luka and...

Cat Noir.

Marinette reads the note again. "Princess," She whispers out loud. "Wait... only one person calls me that."

Her eyes widen.

Adrien is Cat Noir.