20. The Same Path

Five Years Later

"Happy anniversary, babe." Adrien reaches out from behind his girlfriend and hands her five, stemmed red roses. For their anniversary each year, Adrien gives her a rose for how many years they've been together. This year is five, and there'll be many, many more to come.

"Aren't you the sweet kitty," Marinette whispers, taking the flowers with a big smile. "I got you something, too..." She reaches inside her purse and turns to face him, giving him a tiny red box.

Adrien takes it. "What's this supposed to hold? The love my father has for me?"

She gasps at his joke, still unsure if she's allowed to laugh or not. "Uh..."

"It's okay, we can laugh about it now," He whispers with a chuckle.

A year ago, Marinette and Adrien discovered Hawkmoth's secret identity—Gabriel Agreste—and hatched a plan to defeat him. His evil doing was exposed to Paris and the fashion designer was arrested, spending the rest of his life rotting away in prison.

Also with the discovery of his father's secret life, Adrien also found his missing mother in the villain's lair under their house. Sadly, given the status her mental state, no earthly or magical medicine was found to cure her.

A funeral was held in Emelie Agreste's mother and her ashes were molded into a ring Adrien wears beside his miraculous.

"We must leave now if we don't want be late meeting Nathalie and my aunt," Adrien tells Marinette as he slips on a beige trench coat. He grabs the black umbrella from the stand by the front door of their apartment. "But you know what they say, old habits die hard."

"Ha ha," Marinette teases, peeking a glance in the mirror to fix her hair. "I've been getting better with my time management."

"You look beautiful." Adrien kisses her forehead and links his arm through hers, pulling her out down the front steps and to the sidewalk.

Like a magnet, their hands find each other's and their fingers interlock—a perfect match.

Ever since Gabriel Agreste was arrested, Nathalie and Amelie took over the brand and company as Co-CEOs, with Adrien's blessing, as he had given up his share of possession.

They soon reach the Agreste mansion and head inside, finding his aunt and Nathalie speaking in the foyer.

"Adrien, darling!" Amelie cheers as she approaches her nephew with a hug and kiss. "It's so good to see you."

Adrien's heart still stung whenever he saw his aunt—as she bared his mother's resemblance—but he knew it wasn't her fault.

He just missed his mother more than anything.

"Hi, Nathalie," Marinette greets as they share a hug. "I brought homemade cookies."

"You're too sweet, Marinette."

Adrien hugs Nathalie and holds her tight. "How are you doing?"

"I'm good," She answers, patting his back. "The brand is as strong as ever, especially with our new partnership coming up."

"Partnership?" He questions. "With who?"

"With us, dear cousin," Felix answers as he and Kagami walk hand in hand down the front steps. "When's the last time you turned on a TV?"

Marinette smiled at them. "Hey, Kagami! Hi, Felix."

"It's good to see you, Marinette," The dark haired girl said. "Is that a new design you're wearing?"