Chapter 7

"Help!" Calista screamed as her eyes fluttered open. She found herself in a different place. So different from where the loud noises were heard. So different from where the man who wanted to rape her was. Now she could remember vividly the events. How he offered for a dance, how she declined, how she went outside, how he tied her down, tore her clothes, then, how there was a slash sound followed by a bared neck whose head was ripped off.

Her fingers began to tremble as she kept her eyes fixed on the bed she was sleeping on.

Her eyes grew wide when she heard a familiar voice, "Calista, are you alright?"

How could she be alright after what she just went through?

How could she be alright while the person she forever wanted to stay away from was asking her that question?

She released her hand from his hold, "Where is Sunny? How did I get here? "

Jeremy gave out a little sigh. He had almost killed himself when he saw her unconscious. Now that she was awake, she wasn't even concerned about him. "George came to pick her." He paused a little, "I volunteered to stay, she had been with you for a long while."

He saw her heart raced slowly. What could have happened to her earlier? He saw her lying dead behind someone's car. Her dress was torn and he couldn't have guessed right. He couldn't be in his right sense when he knew she was raped. He was dieing to ask her but he knew she would keep pushing him away.

He blamed himself for not looking after her like he always had promised.

Calista pinched her inner palms, she was dying to ask if he saw her naked and also dying to ask if what she saw was real. How could she ask, when he wasn't there? What if Jeremy was actually the one who slaughtered the pervert? Could he? No. That was impossible. The Jeremy she knew couldn't kill anyone. That was never possible.

Everywhere remained silent as no one knew what to talk about. Calista couldn't talk about why she fainted as she knew Jeremy wasn't present then and again, she couldn't ask if he actually saw her naked. She was dead embarrassed.

When Calista felt his strong gaze, she shifted her eyes to the white-painted wall behind him. She didn't know why she was feeling this. Seeing him, almost made her cry. She could remember those days they played together in the rain and caught fishes, she was just fourteen and he was sixteen, but they had been best companions. Those days, Calista would hide from her mum's wrath and run to Jeremy's house. While Jeremy's mother would serve her food and everything, she would still eat Jeremy's own and they would both quarrel.

That mum who almost made her life hard wasn't there anymore. Her dad whose care she could never measure wasn't there anymore, and Jeremy, whose love she thought would never end, had just torn away from her.

She even recalled a day she pretended to faint, Jeremy had cried and had his eyes turned red, all she could do later on was to laugh and cry at the same time after seeing how scared he was.

They had gone through a lot to be enemies now. Sometimes, Calista would sometimes think, her parents' death actually made Jeremy fell out of love for her. It didn't make sense but she noticed that it was during that moment, he started behaving weird.

She was more confused when she heard him mention her name the last time she was in his house. She didn't know why she thought he still loved her. But if he still did, why did he have to break their relationship?

His voice woke her from her reverie, "Calista-"

She looked at him softly. Her eyes burning in tears but she was quite successful not to make them drop.

"Calista, I'm so sorry..."

What? Sorry for what? Sorry that he hurt her feelings? Or sorry that he had a new girlfriend or sorry that what? What was the exact thing he was sorry about?

Her heart almost skipped its beat twice when she looked back at his face. She wished she could really pull him tight to her. She wished she could change his mind already. " Sorry about what?"

"About everything you might be going through. I don't mean all these but it had to be done for a purpose. Please, believe me. I really do love you and the breakup wasn't wholeheartedly." His eyes squeezed a little and he gently took her hand in his. Hopefully, this time, she didn't pull away, "There is something really wrong and it is hard to tell you else I would be making things complicated. There are some deadly powers you are yet to be aware of, deadly people I don't want you to meet. All, you see me doing now, is to prevent the awaiting danger. Remember this, I love you and I will always do. I would never let anyone take you away from me, even though it would take me a lifetime to get you back, I will and I would never break my promise."

With this, he clashed his lips with hers, which met her unexpectedly.

It was like she was dreaming and it wasn't Jeremy.

She didn't return the kiss. She was still dazed and confused. Before she could do something she would later regret, she immediately pulled away from the kiss. "Jeremy. We aren't together anymore and...and I have gotten over you. There is no way we could be together again. No way, I promise."

She almost wanted to kick her butt for saying that. What was she thinking? Did she know what that meant? Why was she proving to be so stubborn? Didn't he just apologize?

But he was at fault. He made her feel like, their relationship was a waste. He even embarrassed her in public. There was no way she could allow such things to happen again. It was a payback from her.

And what did he mean by deadly powers or people? Was that a joke or what? Because she knew, when both were younger, they used to talk about magic, powers and everything unimaginable. They both loved to fantasise about many things, which strengthened their connection.

Jeremy's eyes dropped so low. it was like he was for the first time hearing what she just said. His lungs constricted and all his veins seemed to be popping out slowly as he held his pain within. He knew he was at fault but he would try his possible best to make her love her back and protect her from someone. Someone he knew his only aim was to hurt her.

He wouldn't allow such and the person would have to pass through him first.

Without thinking any further, he stood up and walked outside.

No matter what, he would never let anyone nor a beast lay his hands on even a strang of her hair.