Secrets Are Kept Secrets

"Camilo it's okay, you can tell us anything that is bothering you." Julieta walks over to hug her nephew close. "With your heart set on being in love with another boy, it is going to be a change in our family. But you're not the only one that has these sort of feelings."

"I'm not??" Camilo looked up confused. "Someone else is like me?"

"I didn't want to believe it at first but after hearing your Tía here talk about it several times I couldn't deny it anymore." Agustín chuckled.

"Wait... No... no, don't say it." Camilo gently pushed his aunt away. "I already know who you're talking about because... Because that's who I'm in love with!"

Julieta and Agustín stare wide-eyed at their nephew before staring at each other in silence.

"I don't know what to do!" Camilo tears up instantly. "He saw us, a vision of us together, we're happy and married and I'm scared. I'm really scared."

Julieta frowns lightly trying to think of what to say.

"Mmm... I'd say just let it all out and go for it." Agustín smiled softly. "As I always say, what's the worst that can happen?"

"Everything! Everything could happen to us!" Camilo yells out. He broke out into tears and hid his face in his hands to cry.

"Agustín." Julieta rubbed the bridge of her nose shaking her head.

"What is it that is scaring you the most Camilo?" Agustín asked.

"That everyone will hate us and tear us apart. I don't understand why I want to be with Bruno but I just... He made me so happy when I was younger. Then he had to disappear..." Camilo rubbed his nose on his sleeve. "I guess I just don't want to lose him again. I just got him back and all of my vaulted-up feelings that I had for him before he disappeared came back to me when I was without my memory. Those feelings made me feel love, not the love that a Tío would have for his Sobrino but love that someone would give to another to live the rest of their lives with."

Julieta smiled softly. "You missed him a lot after he disappeared. It's a shame that your mother and father pushed the idea into your head that he didn't care about anyone. Bruno cared a lot about all of us, even when he felt hated by everyone."

Camilo clenched his fists lightly. "I hate them for that. I knew something was off when I lost my memory. Bruno looked so nice and sweet. Yet in the back of my mind, I felt a deep hatred for him for no reason at all."

"It's understandable. Your mother was always so hard on Bruno as the three of us grew up. She just wanted him to feel bad all the time." Julieta sighs. "I supported him every chance I got. And when he told me that he was different from everyone else I knew that he was confessing to me about how homosexuality. He was never happy with the dates that we set up for him. He just wanted to be alone for the rest of his life... But now... the thought of marriage... I don't know what to say or do about that."

"You want to know what I think, Camilo?" Agustín asked him.

Camilo shrugged his shoulders. "What?"

"I think you shouldn't worry about what anyone says about your relationship with Bruno. If you're happy then be happy." Agustín placed his hand onto his nephew's shoulder to comfort him. "If anyone tries to get in your way just do what I did with your Tía here. Don't pay them any mind even if you end up getting hurt. But you're young and a part of the family so I hope that nothing violent happens."

"Agustín." Julieta sighs out A little annoyed by her husband's choice of words.

"What? All I'm doing is telling the truth here. No one should be ashamed of who they want to be in love with." Agustín pats the top of Camilo's head gently. "If the family wants to try and split them up then I will be there to protect them."