Chapter 2 ~ Headlines

School ended and I headed back home, mom was working late, but her version of late isn't too long. I kicked off my shoes, put my backpack in the closet, and turned on the T.V. When I turned it on, the news was playing. It said, 'Missing kids in various areas, particularly JaclinsPike.' That's my town, that's where I live. The headline that came up not too long after read 'are the parents next?' Mom, I thought. I called my mom in a rush, she quickly picked up the phone.

"Hey, mom, you okay?" I asked worried.

"Yes, honey. I'm alright." She replied in a soothing voice.

I felt relieved, I'm very protective of my mom, even if she's the adult and I'm simply the kid. I don't know what I would do if I lost her.

"I'll be home in twenty five minutes."  She assured.

We talked about what we wanted for dinner and agreed on ravioli. I get that the news said 'Missing Children' but I'm always worried about my mom. Plus, that headline scared me. My dad is out on a business trip half way across the country right now, he's supposed to be there for a few weeks but who knows how long that's going to take. Noelle rang the doorbell and pushed the door open. I palmed myself in the forehead because I forgot to lock the front door. She slammed multiple books on the counter as pencils flew out from inside of them.

"Dang, Noelle." I said, utterly surprised.

She didn't say anything, she just put her arm on the pile of books and stared at me. I widened my eyes and gave her the hand motion of 'I'm waiting for you to say something."

She slowly started, "Prixx," she said it slowly, and carefully as she tilted her head while widening her eyes. That's when you know, she means business. "I know you have done a lot of things in your lifetime that have not been the wisest choices, but this? This is just too far, way too far."

"What'd I do? Kill a teacher?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

She opened her mouth and kept it open for what felt like an eternity.

"You did what!?" She yelled at the top of her lungs.

"It's an expression, you're the smart one here, I'd expect you to know."

"What kind of expression, huh? Simile? Metaphor?" She was being serious.

"Noelle, if you're talking about me getting in trouble and Mr. Roy taking me into his classroom, I'm very much informed." I crossed my arms and slouched my shoulders.

"Well, that I expected."

I narrowed my eyes at her.

"It's not what I'm talking about, though. I'm talking about your little 'incident' with Ms. Schultz." She didn't give my time to speak, "I mean, trapping her in her classroom!? Turning her dog blue!?" She looked and sounded very exasperated.

"I'm sorry, what?! I don't even think Ms. Schultz has a dog, and trapping her in her classroom?! How would I even get the keys?! Well, maybe that's not the best question. Why would I want to trap her in her classroom?" I have been accused of many things in my lifetime, most of which were things I actually did, but this one, this one I had nothing to do with. It's just some silly rumor someone made up, I did chuckle a little at it.

"I don't know, you did it!" She fired back.

"You actually believe that lie?!" I don't know what I was pointing to but my arm was extended outward.

"Yet, another thing Prixley Ereya Morgan won't admit!" She spun around with her arms out and was ready to head out the door.

"But I didn't-" My voice slowly turned into a whisper.

She turned around and gave me the same look I gave her earlier, the 'I am waiting for you to say something' look.

"Are you at least going to take your stuff?" I held my hand out to the side of her things.

"Yes, I wouldn't want you touching them." She walked over and grabbed all her things. Her back was turned and all she needed to do was open the door out, "you know, I really tried to help you. I thought, maybe I could help you to the right path, but I guess you chose your path a while ago." There was a moment of silence after that. She headed towards the door, opened it, and left. I stood there, uneasy. I realized I felt uneasy because I never knew if she would talk to me again, knowing Noelle, she probably won't.