Chapter 19 ~ The Truth

"She did that to you...?" She asked, frightened.

"Yes...and...she offered me help, like she was trying to lure me into something." I looked down at the bedsheets as Noelle held my hands. Everything flashed before me, "...a-and she grabbed me and tossed me around," I started to tear up and become oblivious to the world in front of me, "I backed up into a building and I got up but couldn't get far..." I cried, "...and she slit me." I sniffled and cried. I remembered that horrid moment, but only remembered fragments of what happened before. The girls left me, I walked around for a bit but something happened...and then, all I remembered was a shadow. Right after that, the event of the lady coming happens. I was missing things and I knew it, but I also knew that this lady wanted me killed, and she wanted to do it now.

I sniffled and wiped my tears, I looked down at Noelle's hands caressing mine. She looked up at me and tried to keep a smile on her face, it was down, a minor smile. Her auburn hair was flowing at the sides of her face, her head was tilted down like mine, mirroring my disposition. I continued to look down until my ears focused in on the news that was playing in the background. The channel played on the small T.V that was tucked in the top corner of the entirely marked blue room.

"I am here live at the scene where police are investigating, what some may call, the current 'kidnapping area'. Four children have been kidnapped here, three of which have not been heard of in nearly a month. Police are investigating to find any leftover traces of the children, with one officer saying the investigation, 'Could be going better.' Our best wishes and prayers are with the parents of these children as we all hope they come home, soon. Over to you Jim..."

I focused on my out of control breathing and looked down, then back up a little bit to meet the edge of the bed. I looked around, my eyes moving all over the place, I fell back in focus when they said, 'dead body.'

"Thank you, Grace. I am here on a murder scene where one dead body has been found, and another injured only four miles south from here, right by Lasaway. Officials are investigating the crime scene, they say the cause of death was from a bullet shot in the man's chest."

I continued to breath heavy and my eyebrows furrowed. I looked around on the T.V screen and slowly made my way up to meet Noelle's eyes. I had a concerned look on my face, but I also knew the answer, and I knew it from the beginning. Noelle's eyes flashed with a moment of realization.

"You think it's related..." she said.

I let myself quickly calm down and I looked her straight in the eyes, "Oh, I know it's related."

~~Three days later~~

I threw on my bag and headed downstairs to leave for Noelle's house. I hadn't been there in a while, but what we needed to discuss was important, very important. I unlocked the door and swung it open, holding it open with my weight. I turned the knob all the way around to unlock the second door, my key was held between my teeth as I quickly opened the door to leave.

"Where are you going?" My mom asked, slowing down her cutting. She had a silver bowl filled with lettuces and other vegetables, all for one person's lunch, her own.

"I'm going to Noelle's." I muttered, the key still in my mouth.

She gave me the skeptical look.

I sighed and took out the key, "I am going to Noelle's house." I restated, taking a pause in between every word.

"...and you're going like that?" She questioned.

I looked down and noticed nothing wrong with my outfit. I held onto my small, thin unzipped coat, "this?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied, stating the obvious.

"Mom-" I said in disbelief as she immediately picked up her phone to look at the weather.

"Boom, thirty-six degrees." She showed me her phone.

I rose my eyebrows and then scrunched them, "Okay, it's thirty-six degrees?"

"Yeah, thirty-six degrees, you should be wearing a coat." She gave me an obvious 'mom-look'.

"I am wearing a jacket." I made a sort of disgusted face as I held into the collar of my jacket.

She took a deep breath, "A real jacket." She leaned against the beige, granite countertop and made, yet another, state-of-the-obvious face. Her eyebrows were raised, her lips were pressed, and she looked me directly in the eyes, slowly taking short glances at my 'non-jacket'.

"Well, let me know when you find one, and let me know when you find a real reason to explain why this isn't a real jacket." I pushed on the handle and left the house. The door kept swaying behind me before fully closing, I could hear the tension from the springs. I didn't bother to look back at my mom, with anything, she probably just felt annoyed and was waiting for me to tell her how cold it was. Then, she'd go back to making her salad.

I didn't let my thoughts get to me, I needed to talk to Noelle, and Noelle was all I needed at the moment. We had to discuss the truth about what was going on...we both knew this wasn't natural, and the robotic women were not going to stop until they got what they wanted, something cold, something worthless, something that they have been dreading for...my dead body.