Cirque Aigile

The sound of a passing by car horn drags my conscious from a rather pleasant dream as I let out a disgruntled groan. I pull my pillow over my head, trying to block out the noise of the city out the noise, as the sound of a rapid rapping on my front door fully wakes me up. I let out an irritated sigh, glaring into my pillow.

I hate mornings.

"Ari!" the familiar (yet muffled) voice calls out to me. "Ari, wake up or you'll be late!" blearily I throw the covers off my body, bare feet padding against the wooden floor. I run a hand through my hair, getting it out of my face as I make my way through my tiny apartment. I pass through my living room and was about to reach the door when it swings open. Russet tresses contrast against my dreary grey wallpaper as my one of my best friends smiles and waves at me.

"If you have a key," I yawn, reaching a hand under my tank top to scratch my stomach. "Why the heck did you knock, MJ?"

"Because it's the polite thing to do, besides just barging in like I own the place isn't exactly something anyone would like to wake up to," she says taking a seat on my sofa. "Slept in actual pajamas, huh?"

I shrug my shoulders lazily, knowing where this was going. "I was too tired last night, didn't get a chance to take everything off." I say, and she gives me a worried look.

"You work too hard . . ." she murmurs quietly. "Are you really sure you don't want any-"

"I'm fine MJ," I reply, with a tired smile. "I know you guys worry about me, but it's only for one more year . . ." MJ opened her lips to say something but another knock at the door interrupted her reply.

"MJ? Ari? You guys there?" Peter's voice questioned from the other side. We exchange a glance before I went to open the door. It brought a smile to my lips to see Pete covering his eyes with his hands. The dork.

"I see nothing! Totally blind right now Ari." He said quickly waving his free hand in the air in mock surrender.

"Relax Parker," I chuckle. "I'm dressed!" he peers through the crack between his fingers and let out a relieved sigh.

"Luckily . . ." I raise a questioning brow and in turn, he jabbed his thumb to gesture to four unfamiliar faces standing a few yards away from my door. I make an 'O' with my lips, nodding understandingly, and opened the door wider.

"They're free to come in; we still have two hours until school starts, anyway." I look pointedly towards MJ who smiled back innocently, reading a magazine she found on the coffee table.

"Does that mean you'll be making pancakes?" he grins, hopeful at the sound of food. I roll my eyes, shaking my head, and saunter over to my bedroom to get some clothes since I have guests over now - don't want to parade around half-naked now do I?

"I swear, sometimes I think you only love me for the food I make." I tease, feigning hurt.

"That's not true, I love you because you are one of my closest and most trusted friends, Ari!" he says sincerely making his way inside and gesturing the others to follow. "And because you make awesome breakfast for us!"

"Sorry for the intrusion." A taller, blond-haired boy bows slightly. After him, a girl with dark hair and tanned skin a greets with a simple "Good morning" and a tight yet friendly smile. Two boys file in afterward, a shorter boy with a skin tone similar to mine with short black hair and the tallest of the group, a black well-muscled boy with cropped hair.

"Well, it's a party now I guess . . ." I murmur with another yawn as I waddle away for my shower. After locking the door, I turn on the water to its hottest setting and strip myself down to step in. I felt my muscles relax on contact and let out a pleasant sigh. After scrubbing down and brushing my teeth, I dry myself off and throw on my favorite outfit; a pair of black tights and a navy off the shoulder tunic. I step out of the bathroom while combing out my hair, turning the corner into the living room to see the group of them chatting.