The Neo Gala Fundraiser

Ari's Point of View

I adjust myself in the car seat for the umpteenth time, trying to find a comfortable position. The dress Clara had made for me is beautiful, but a pain to sit in. The limousine Ward had sent for us is amazing, but getting comfortable is a whole other issue.

"Spider-Man will keep visuals from the outside with Nova." Director Fury says over our comms. "White Tiger and Power Man will work from the inside in case you need any backup," he says as I slide down in the seat again and I spy Danny's lips twitching up a bit.

"We'll keep in touch with our earpieces during the Gala just in case," he says as Kele appears on the other side of the screen. His hood is up, with only the light of his communicator illuminating his features.

"Keep on your toes, you two. I have a bad feeling so try to keep sight of each other." his gruff voice mumbles as he looks up for a moment.

"Got it," I say, letting out a frustrated breath and accepting my sliding fate. "If I see anyone red, I'll let you guys know right away."

"Remember, this is a civilian mission for you two, so at any sign of trouble leave the fighting to the team." Fury reminds us as we both nod.

"Understood."

"We're approaching the venue, Mr. Rand." The driver tells us from the speakers that are built into the seating area. A tinted glass window separates us from them, giving us some privacy.

"Be careful you two," Kele says as the feed cuts off, and we both cloak our communicators. I look out the window to the famous Plaza hotel where the Gala is being held, the lights and the welcoming area set up for the guests shining brightly even from where we're waiting.

The nervous pit in my stomach grows as I grip the shimmery silver shawl Clara had given me before we left since the weather had taken a dip in temperature. I didn't really need it, but Clara was worried since the dress is strapless.

I look over to Danny when his warm hand rests on mine, the matching ring he got us glimmering on his middle finger. He looks good in his tux, and his hair is parted slightly, his bangs falling over to his right. "Are you ready?"

"Not in the slightest." I sigh, hoping that my makeup is hiding my nervousness.

"Good, neither am I," he says with a laugh that makes me feel just a tiny bit better as the car slows down to a stop. The flashing of the cameras going off from outside the windows makes this more real as I take in a deep breath and Danny straightens his tie. The doors open on his side, flooding the inside of the car with the excited voices of reporters and bubbly interviewers waiting for the next guests to arrive.

With practiced precision, Danny steps out, instantly bombarded by cameras as he stands to smile and wave on the red carpet. It's like a flip's been switched and I'm suddenly looking up at Daniel Thomas Rand from one of the richest families in the city.

I can vaguely hear people asking if he's brought a date, and he turns to look at me with a dazzling smile and holds his hand out for me. I take in one last breath and take his hand as he helps me out, fighting the urge to squint at all the flashing lights in my eyes.

The black lace of the dress pools around my feet, and even though it was brutal, I silently thank Clara for the lessons in heels as I stand beside him. I smile just like Ward taught me as Danny leads me with his hand on my lower back towards the entrance of the hotel. I spot a familiar shade of red in the crowd, and I nudge Danny's arm, who follows my gaze as he nods as we head over to her.