Brothers

Danny's POV

"Danny, don't forget to pack your toothbrush this time!" my mother calls out from downstairs and I see my younger self roll his eyes at the eighth reminder.

"Okay mom!" he sighs, zipping his suitcase shut and lugs it off the bed as he rolls it towards the door. I smile as he checks the list attached to the door my mother left, checking again just to be sure he hadn't missed anything.

I'm pulled with him as he heads down the hallways of our penthouse, the walls a creamy white with photos of our vacations and awards I've won from school displayed in loving order.

My mother always loved hanging up my school picture day photos. It got to a point that the right side wall was becoming dedicated to them.

"You sure you have everything, Dan? We might not be able to buy another toothbrush where we're going." my father says stepping out of his office, just like he always does. He stands tall, his blond hair neatly brushed and his blazer folded over his arm.

My younger self lets out a groan, looking up into similar green eyes and pouting up at him. "I have it this time! I checked four times before I closed it—trust me dad, we're not gonna have a repeat of France." he says with a cringe and I can't help but wince along with him.

Those were definitely not a good couple of days.

"Just making sure," he laughs, ruffling my hair. "We won't be there long, it's just a quick business trip and then we can head right to Aspen for some skiing."

"I can't wait! Sarah said she was gonna go there for the summer!" my younger self cheers as they head down the hall to join my mother and I frown at what I know comes next.

The image melts away, and the comforting walls of our home are replaced with the cabin of my family's private jet. The entire cabin is shaking, the shouts of the pilots deafened by my mother's screams. She's clinging to my younger self, shielding him from the chaos around them as my father yells something to us, wrapping his arms around younger me from the opposite side. The plane violently tilts to the side, causing anything that isn't strapped down to go flying into the air.

A blinding flash of white engulfs everything around me as the plane crashes into the mountains, the biting cold of the snow rushing into the cabin, and my younger self is torn from my parents' embrace.

I sit up quickly, taking lungfuls of air as my heart beats frantically against my chest. My eyes dart around the room on the Tri-Carrier, a cold sweat sliding down my back as I do my best to calm myself. The sound of my breathing and the ringing in my ears are the only things I can register as the humming of the ship bleeds in and I let out a sigh.

I raise my hands up to my eyes, rubbing them as I catch the Rand Enterprises logo on my shirt and frown. I push the blankets off of me, swinging my legs over the side of my bed, checking my phone for any messages to see Ward's reminder that the fittings and the rundown of what to expect at the Gala is today.

I send him a quick confirmation and I know I won't be able to go back to sleep after all that, and decide to get some in training to clear my head. The meeting between Smoker and Michael is happening today, and finding out the two are related brought back memories of my time with Davos in K'un-Lun.

I change out of my pajamas, putting on something less sweaty, and head over to the training room. I tie my hair back with a scrunchie I borrowed from Ari as I greet a few agents I pass and blink in surprise to see her already making her way through the obstacle course.