Double Shift (Part 2)

***Warning for violent scenes ahead!***

New York is almost too normal when we arrive.

It's carrying on like it's just some other night, as if The Goblin isn't threatening to turn them all into his evil goblin-y minions.

Spider-Man's location is locked onto my communicator and we're approaching him and four other blips. The team.

"We're going to drop you in a few moments." Agent Benjamin tells us as the others get prepped to get dropped off. "Shadow Fox, are you sure you can make the drop on your own?"

"You bet. I've recovered enough of my energy to at least do that much." I adjust my mask one last time before turning to the others. "I'll go first and on my mark, Tracey will swoop you guys in—but only on my say. The last thing I need to Goblin getting to you guys too."

"As if that'll happen!" Ax says, bringing a fist to his chest. "We got your back, Ari."

"You can count on us." Simone nods in agreement, and I feel a little of the pressure lift from my shoulders.

"Shadow Fox, ten seconds before the drop." another Agent tells me as I summon my tails. I do one last check on my bandages to make sure they're secure.

"Good luck, Ari." I hear Connor say and I reply with a thumbs up. The hatch opens up before me, the cold air hitting my cheeks as I stare down at the city below. I can see five figures fighting on an apartment rooftop and I activate my Eagle Vision to see one glowing a bright blue while the others are a mixture of red and green.

"Go!"

I leap from the ship without hesitation, holding my arms close to my side as I glide through the air. I spy a taller building above them, using my tails to dig into the brick when I get near it, and use the momentum from my fall to fling myself onto a sturdy flag pole sticking from it.

I grab onto it, flipping once to land on it to see White-Tiger claw at Spider-Man's chest. Her uniform is torn at the arms and legs, her mask revealing her mouth as horn-like growths burst out of the sides of her chin. She's bigger and greener too, the others looking just as cuddly as her.

"Your friends aren't here!" she shouts, her voice raspy. "There is only goblin!" she slams into Spidey, knocking them both to the ground. He gets her off of him, but Iron Fist is right behind him and I use my vantage point to launch myself down and send a swift kick to his side. He flies into a ventilation shaft with a shout as I land next to Spidey. I wince, my wounds still stinging from before and from the fact that I just launched my boyfriend across the roof.

"Shadow Fox!" he says and I throw him a smile as I help him up. "Am I glad to see you!"

"Aww look! The gang's all here—gives us the warm fuzzies!" Nova taunts as he and the others close in. His usual white-blue aura he's usually surrounded by is tainted a smoggy green. I see Iron Fist punch through the metal debris that's on him with two glowing green fists, approaching us slowly.

"'Every parting is a form of death, as every reunion is a form of heaven.'" he says, and instead of sounding calm and endearing it sends a shudder up my spine.

"Creepy Zen much?" I mutter,

"Tell me about it," Spidey says as we're pressed back to back. We both take a defensive stance as our team surrounds us and I eye the contraption in Nova's hand warily.

"You have no idea how much power The Goblin has given us..." Power Man says, punching his open palm.

"So much strength and endless possibilities..." Iron Fist voices. "Join us! Let the Goblin Gas open your eyes!"