Paralyzed

"Ari, are you in position?" Kele's gruff voice utters in my earpiece.

"I've got the building in my sights and my area is clear. No signs of anyone or anything except field mice." I say, hopping onto a stack of shipping crates. "Are you sure this is all necessary? All the locations we've hit so far have been empty."

With the help of Professor Nakida and Professor Statlender, SHIELD has been combing through the data they've found from the other areas we've hit.

They've had their hands full too, what with finding the families of the misplaced children—if they had any, that is. To those who didn't, Mr. Stark had teamed up with Rand Enterprises to start a program to help them. It was sweet when Danny brought it up, and it's been doing good for both companies. They've even convinced other big-time companies to chip in, too.

"Smoker's info had been good. He mentioned this warehouse was particularly heavily guarded—said that this was one of the major locations where they transported the kidnapped kids."

Well, that explains the storage units. I think bitterly, looking at the looming warehouse that sat near train tracks. The building had seen better days, which is why I think we have nothing to worry about. "Is that why it's just us two on this mission?"

He lets out a chuckle on his end. "What would you rather be with that Rand boy?"

My cheeks get hot as I stammer. "W-What? No!" Okay, that isn't a complete lie, but Mr. Osborn just got cured and Harry wanted us all to hang out and I wanted to touch base with him about it! "Where did that even come from?!"

"I wanted to see how bad you are at lying. Glad to see I'm right." I let out a groan, tugging my hood over my face even though I know he can't see me. "I can hear it in your voice. Don't think I didn't notice the change between you two after that trip from K'un-Lun."

"For the last time—nothing happened. Is now really the time to go through this? Again?" The first time was bad enough; he tried grilling me in front of Danny and I just wanted to curl up into a ball and disappear. If this is what I was missing not having a dad around, I'd rather do without the part where he bugs me about my love life.

I haven't brought up that I'll be going back with Danny after his year is up, and I'm sure as hell not gonna tell Kele any time soon. I'm just glad no one else asked about it. Ava and Sam took him going back pretty well and Luke already knew, but they want to make the most out of the time he has left.

"Alright, I'll lay off... for now. I'm on top of the roof, 'port here, and I'll fill you in on the game plan."

"Fine..." I grumble as I switch off the communicator. I rub my forehead, turning around to open up a shadow portal. I step through it, the darkness cool against my skin, and in an instant I'm beside him.

"Looks like that training's been paying off." He smirks as I send him a look.

"Thanks. Doctor Strange has been helping me, too." I say, walking over to stand beside him with a huff.

"Good, let's put that to the test." Damn it, I set myself up for that one. He nods over to the skylight, the room below completely blanketed by darkness. "Let's see you use the shadows to see what we're dealing with."

"You would turn this into a teaching experience..."

"Just catching up on lost time." He half shrugs, but I can tell he's trying not to laugh.

Clicking my tongue, I kneel, placing my open palm on the cool glass and close my eyes. I focus on the shadows inside the room, a map of the multi-level building slowly forming in my mind floor by floor.