The Dream

Ari's Point of View

I don't know how long I was in this place Simone called IVY, but looking out through the tiny window that was placed in the door only gave me the same view; rows and rows of white walls and floors with identical doors. Sometimes there would be others, looking out, but they never spoke. Their eyes would look back at me in a daze, and somewhere deep down I felt like something was wrong. 

It felt like I shouldn't be here, but every time I think anything like that or ask the others about how they got here, I would feel the neckband that we all wore give out a loud beep and then a piercing sensation. I couldn't remember what happened after that, only feeling a sensation of flying as the world blurred around me and when I came to, I was sitting on my bed, staring at the wall.

Why couldn't I remember anything while that happened? What the hell was going on?

I shake my head, afraid that if I dig in too deep again it would happen again. I was scared that it would happen again . . .

I quietly observe the others as they sit in a circle, playing some kind of game with their hands to pass the time.

I learned that Tracey, the youngest, couldn't speak and had to communicate with a pad of pen and paper he always carries. His large green eyes were incredibly expressive though, and sometimes he didn't really need to write anything down.

Connor and Alex are the same age as me and although they arren't related, they're always sitting really close to each other. Connor reminds me of someone I know, I think. With messy thick dark hair and even darker eyes that shined with playfulness. His skin is lightly tanned, and he has a kind of boyish look for his age. He's a little taller than me, with a lean body and a mole underneath his left eye.

Ax is almost the complete opposite. He isn't as pale as Simone, but his copper-hued hair that's cut short and parted to the side. His grey eyes are always narrowed into a kind of bored glare and unlike Connor, he is rather muscular. Sometimes I would see him doing pushups or pull-ups near his bunk. I'm pretty sure he and Connor are together, but nothing was ever said.

Simone is most likely the sweetest person I think I could ever meet in my life. She's nineteen, the oldest, and since day one, she was always asking if I was okay and how I was adjusting. Tracey stuck to her like glue, and I could tell he adored her with every fiber of his being. Her blonde hair was curly and was tucked back behind her ears and ended at her shoulders. It seemed to puff up at the tips and it kind of reminded me of a cloud.

From what I can tell, we aren't the only kids here at least, but no one would ever pass by. It was like this place was completely empty besides us.

"Ari, come over and play with us. Beats just sitting there watching us like some fussy house cat." Simone giggles, waving a hand.

"O-oh sorry, I was just . . . thinking." I say unfolding my legs and plopping over to sit next to her.

"You're too quiet." Ax grunts, leaning against the wall. "It's creepy."

"Ax!" Connor berates, slapping his shoulder. "Don't mind him, he's just grumpy."

"Ax is always grumpy, Con," Simone says with a snicker as the redhead shoots her a glare. "Oh don't give me that look, we all know you're just a big teddy bear."

"Oh shut it Blondie, since the new girl's joining, why don't we start over?"

"What are you guys playing?" I ask as Connor turns to face me.