Bottle Rockets and Plastic Stars

I wake up confused, squinting up at the window that shouldn't be covered by a dark red curtain as a sliver of sunlight just so hits me right in my eye. I hold back a groan, the memories of last night coming back to me, and I register the arms wrapped snugly around my waist and a blond head snoozing peacefully on my chest. I let out a short laugh through my nose, taking in his sleeping face the best I can from my position.

He looks so cute when he sleeps. I smile, trying not to move too much. I take a second to look around the room, seeing it a little clearer in the morning sunlight.

"I'm thankful for moments like these." His voice rings in my head, and I can't agree more. With all the chaos that comes with being a hero, brief breaks here and there aren't so bad.

I run my fingers through his hair absentmindedly and I spy a floating bookshelf and his books are on full display on their sides. I squint as I spot a familiar title.

'How Not To Suck At Modern Dating'?

I wrack my mind when it finally hits me—I've heard about this book from MJ! It was a big seller for a while and I remember it catching like wildfire in school; everyone was reading it—even Harry!

I bite my lip to keep myself from giggling, That's actually really cute! I didn't expect him to be reading something like that. Then again, he lived in K'un-Lun...

I should ask Luke how Danny adjusted after he came back to New York.

Danny mumbles something I can't hear, and I stop playing with his hair. He snuggles his cheek against my chest and I feel heat creep up into my face. "D-Danny? Sorry, did I wake you?" I ask as he sucks in a breath.

"... tired." He mutters, his voice muffled by my shirt. Tired? He's usually the first one up and the most energized out of all of us...

A sinking sensation forms in the pit of my stomach and I shimmy away a little to get a better look at his face. He opens his eyes lazily, wincing a bit at the sunlight streaming in.

"Danny, what's wrong?" I notice his skin is paler, and he's shivering slightly. "Are you sick?"

"No, no..." He shakes his head, green eyes hazy. Oh god, did he get poisoned again?! "I just used too much energy."

A pang of guilt shoots through me—when he helped me with my headache and that vision.

"I'm—"

"You have nothing to apologize for." He cuts in as his hand grips my arm lightly and sending me a sharp look through his hazy eyes. "I told you I would protect you..." He puts a hand on his forehead, loosening his hold on me.

"Not at your own expense!" I throw the sheets off us, one foot already on the soft carpet. "We're getting you to the Medical Bay!"

"Ari please, I'm fine! I just need to re-center myself." He pleads, grabbing my hand and I nearly give in to those eyes of his, but I dig deep and get what will power I have and shake my head.

"No way. I'll feel better once the doctors check you over. Please? For me?" He stares me down for a few seconds before he sighs.

"Okay..." if I didn't know any better, I'd say he's pouting, but I'm satisfied when he shuffles to the edge of the bed. I help him stand and we wobble over to the doors, and when they slide open we're greeted with the knowing looks of Luke and Sam. Ava's behind them, a book in her hand, and she raises a brow.

"Ooh, looks like the lovebirds had some fun last night!" Sam teases and I give him a hard glare.

"Nothing happened, Sam! We need to get Danny to the Med Bay!"

Toss Up (Danny Rand)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara