The Truth

***Ari's Point Of View***

When I 'wake up' from the dream with Danny,  my senses are on high alert. 

I know the mattress that I'm sitting on is comfortable, but I don't feel it. I don't even feel the clothes I have on me or the tiles beneath my bare feet.

But what I do know is that I remember.

I honest to god remember everything that led to where I am right now. I don't know how it happened, and I don't care (I just hope I'm not dead. That would hinder the whole get-out-alive plan) the problem now is trying to figure out how to escape. If I'm going to keep that promise to Danny—and I damn well will—I have to start moving.

Ever since I woke up back here, I can't get that kiss out of my mind. I know it was in my dreams, but I can still feel my lips tingling and despite the situation, feel myself smiling goofily. Unfortunately, I can also feel the burning sensation in my lungs that's now dulled to a faint throb.

Damn pink happy juice.

I close my eyes, trying to remember what it is I saw for those precious short moments I was conscious.

A lab . . . lots of tubes and wiring . . . I was floating in something with a mask over my mouth and even though my vision was kind of blurry, I could see others in the same glass pods, but I couldn't see inside of them. I also saw a face, a woman, with blue eyes and dark hair that was loose around her shoulders. She was wearing one of those white lab coats and she looked . . . worried. I think she said something to me, but I couldn't hear her and then I woke up here. Only this time with all my memories.

Who was that woman? Did she want to help me?

I let out a silent sigh, holding my head in my hands. Even if I did leave here, what about the others? Despite everything, we've all become fairly close and I can't just leave them behind . . .

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by a shifting movement above me. I turn my head to see Simone's eyes staring back at me, upside down, her hair illuminated by the sliver of moonlight than shines through the window.

"Penny for your thoughts?" she whispers. I give her a weak grin as I pull my knees up to my chest and she meanders her way beside me.

"I remember, Simone . . ." I say lowly, careful not to wake the others.

". . . I'm not sure whether to envy you or call you a moron. Every time you got dragged off, it scares the ever-living hell out of us, Ari. Why?"

"Because there are people waiting for me. People I can't forget."

She gives me a look. "Boyfriend, huh?"

I smile, hiding my face with my knees. "It's complicated?"

"When is it not?" she laughs lightly. "Do . . . do you think we have people waiting for us too?" she asks, and even though I know she's trying to hide it, I can tell she's scared.

"I don't know Simone, I'm sorry."

She sighs. "No, it's fine. Your honesty is something I appreciate about you, Ari."

"Yeah, well, I wish I had some of your tact."

"Really? Sometimes I feel like I'm a little too nice . . . I wish I had some of your assertiveness."

"It's not as fun as you might think. I wish I was more mature like you . . ."

"Are you calling me old?"

"Oh shut up, that's not what I meant."

"You know," a deep voice interrupts our giggling and we look over to Ax's bed. "Some people would appreciate some peace and quiet when they're trying to sleep." He grunts.