C.A.S.T

I dodge the fist that comes from my left, putting my arms up to block a strong kick that Kele sends me, pushing me back a few inches as I grunt and outstretch a tail to grab him. He dodges with ease, jumping high into the air with his wings and shooting down a wave of feathers.

One manages to hit me as I jump back, knicking me in the shoulder and I use two tails to launch myself upwards as they collide with his wings. The force of it knocks us back on to the ground and I drop into a defensive stance. We stare at each other for a moment before he relaxes, a small smirk tilting his lips upwards.

"Good work. You're getting better, Ari." He says as I catch my breath, sitting down on the cool metal floors.

"Please . . . you were holding back!" I sigh, flopping down on to my back.

"So you noticed . . . but I'm not lying. It took me years to get to where I am today, and at the pace you're going at, you'll get better in no time." I hear him coming closer, the doors to the training room we had for the day opening as I turn my head to see who arrived.

It's Fury, I notice and I sit back up just as Kele stands beside me.

"Nick? Is something the matter?" he asks as the one-eyed director of SHIELD pauses before us.

"No, nothing too serious. We're getting some headway on the investigation on IVY from Smoker, but he's still holding out on some crucial information."

"What does that have to do with us?"

Fury looks to me. "He wants to see you."

There's a heavy silence for a few moments before Kele steps in front of me. "Are you insane?! You know what he almost did to her, and you want my daughter to see that bastard?!" he hisses, surprising me a bit at the dark energy he gave off. I stand, feeling a little numb to all this and place a hand on his arm.

"It's . . . okay. What is it he wants though?" I ask, my throat suddenly dry at the thought of coming face to face with Smoker.

"He wants to talk to you, one on one. About what, I'm not sure, but there's no way we're opening up that cell." Fury explains obviously not liking the idea of giving in to a criminal's demands. "We'll still be monitoring the room and if he so much as twitches . . . you won't have to worry about him."

As much as I didn't like the idea of meeting the guy who shot a hole in my gut and nearly killed me, whatever information he's withholding can help us track down the remainder of IVY and whoever it is that backs them. Taking a deep breath, I nod.

"Ari," Kele began, but I look back up at him with an uneasy smile.

"Trust me, I don't like this either but we both know if I do, how much it can help. I won't lose control and if he tries to get a rise out of me, I'll leave right away."

His dark eyes search mine for a few seconds before he lets out a reluctant sigh. "I know that look, no matter what I say, you won't change your mind." he turns to Fury. "If I sense anything funny coming from him, I'll take him out myself." He mutters, eyes flashing darkly as Fury leads us to the containment section of the Tri-Carrier.

One self-pep talk and a bottle of water later, I'm standing in front of Smoker's cell. I'm not sure if he can see me despite the energy screen that separates us, but for the few moments that I have before Fury gives me the go, I watch him.

His head is bowed, his mussed-up red hair hiding his face from me as he's in some kind of retraining suit that bounds his hands to his sides like some kind of straight jacket. His legs are restrained by a pair of metal boot-like blocks that connect to a thick chain behind his jacket.