Rehabilitation

I take in a deep breath as I concentrate on the easiest routine I can think of, bouncing on the trampoline as I flip once, twice, three times—

I wince before I can complete the fourth turn, my legs locking up as I curl up to land on my back.

"You're getting better, that's great!" Doctor Denisse says as her sister, Rachelle, comes over to help me up. I breathe in the much-needed oxygen, taking her hand gratefully as I sit on the edge of the trampoline. I let out a frustrated sigh as I run a hand through my sweaty hair, resting my arms on my knees as I bow my head.

"We've been at this for two weeks now, Doc," I say catching my breath. "Why is this still happening?"

She gives me a small smile, handing me a bottle of water which I take with a small thanks. "The drug is still working through your system. Since it was developed for mutants, it isn't like any normal drug so it will take some time." She explains.

"I get that . . . but while I'm here, the others are out there saving the day!" I exclaim, gripping the bottle as she places a hand on my shoulder.

"We know you want to be out there with them and this is starting to frustrate you, but you have to be patient, Ari. What you need now is time."

Even though I know she's right, a part of me is still upset that this is all I could do. I wasn't allowed to go on missions or perform in Aigile. The only thing I can do is go to school (which is awkward as hell since I was missing for almost two months) do homework and go straight back to SHIELD headquarters—which was rebuilt because it was destroyed thanks to Green Goblin—and repeat the whole process. It's starting to grate at me that I'm so . . . limited. I'm used to moving around and being active, but I can't do that when my body won't listen to me.

". . . So how are Simone and the others?" I ask changing the subject.

"We've managed to find their families if that's what you're asking," Denisse replies. "Fortunately, they've all handled the situation rather well, although Simone's grandmother was a bit . . . shaky on the subject. We've been working with the Professors that turned themselves in after the infiltration of the facility."

Simone's grandma? "That's good to hear . . . I guess. Doesn't help that they've ruined lives."

Professor Lee and the others are trying to fix their mistakes . . . isn't that enough?" she smiles as the doors behind her slide open, revealing two familiar faces.

"Good afternoon Doctors." Agent Benjamin greets curtly, walking in alongside Agent Ana. The two didn't seem to change other than Agent Ana's hairstyle. It's in a short bob now that complimented her facial structure and maybe now it was a few shades lighter? Agent Benjamin looks the same, his hair slicked back to the side in a classic kind of style. A few greys peppered his dark hair but it makes him looked distinguished.

"Good afternoon, Agents." Doctor Rachelle replies with a nod.

"I guess our session is over for today then," I say hopping off the trampoline with a little wobble. My vision blurs a little and I shake the dizziness away. I can see their concerned looks, but I wave my hand before they can say anything. "I'm fine, see you two next week then?"

"Five O'clock on the dot." Doctor Denisse grins. She's always so smiley, it's kinda nice.

"It's good to see you again, Ari." Agent Ana says with a small smile, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "You have no idea how worried Benjamin has been about you." The man coughs, probably giving her a pointed look through his shades. Ooh, first name bases?