Chapter 44: The News

I woke up with someone's arms embracing me. When I opened my eyes, I was greeted by his exposed chest covered in bandages. I slowly raised my head to look at his face. Zackary's face was inches from me, eyes closed, still asleep.

I blinked, wrapping my head around the situation. How did I end up with the alpha sleeping beside me? Biting my lower lip, I tried to remember what happened last night.

The storm, treating Zackary, asking him to lay comfortably on the bed instead of the floor in the clinic. Him resting on my bed and pulling me beside him until we both fell asleep.

Muli akong sumulyap sa natutulog niyang mukha, saka dahan-dahan na lumayo mula sa kanya. But the arm embracing me pulled me closer, wrapping me completely and pulling me to chest while we remained on the bed.

"Zack..." I whispered, knowing he's already awake.

"Let's stay like this for a while."

I relaxed my shoulders and let myself rest beside him. I could hear his calm breathing, feel the silent beating from his chest. Last night,  Zackary told me he was in love with me. Zackary, the alpha of Van Zanth.

But is it okay for us to be like this? What would happen if the people knew about us?

"You're worrying again."

I stared up at Zackary. He reached for the strands of hair and brushed them off my face. "After I assess the damages in the village, I'll head back to town. I'll fix everything so when you come back we could be together."

"Together?"

"I need you to be by my side, Eleanor."

Hindi agad ako nakapagsalita. By the alpha's side? Umiling ako sa napagtanto. "I'm okay supporting you from afar. I don't think... I could..."

Before I could even finish my statement, Zackary lifted himself off the bed. He hovered over me, broad shoulders and bare chest covering my vision, his palms against the mattress, his restraint arm on either side of my face.

I averted my gaze away from his body. I couldn't think clearly with him so close to me. Zackary reached for my chin, gently directing me to  face him.

"Eleanor, I'd do everything to see you everyday. To be beside you like this. For you to be mine."

My eyes remained on him in a steady gaze until they closed on their own accord as Zackary's lips reached mine in a deep, drowning kiss. I  clasped the sheets with my fingers, slowly being consumed by the familiar sensation.

It was like taming wild fire. No matter how I see myself and the things I fear, I ended up wanting him. And it's a dangerous thing to want someone like Zackary.

Both breathless, Zackary nipped my lower lip, making me open my mouth in surprise. His mouth enveloped mine, taking over and  deepening the kiss.

Zackary... am I really worth the risk?

It was still early morning when both Zackary and I stepped out of the clinic. He planned to check the damages in the village before heading back to town and I needed to check the villagers for injuries caused by  the storm.

I opened the clinic door at the same moment Nari was about to knock. She stared at Zackary and I, a huge grin on her face, before lowering  her head to a bow.

"Alpha... Ms. Eleanor..."

She tried to hide the giddiness from her voice. Noong una nagtaka ako kung bakit until it realized how the situation might have looked. The alpha stepping out of my sleeping quarter with his hair slightly messy  and with the same coat from yesterday.