3. Fall out

Cameron looked to her parents for help. She was immobilized and trying to remember how to breathe when she noticed their stares. Evan was battered and bruised, his arm in a sling and stiches across his forehead, his shirt open revealing purple bruises along his abdomen. Scarlett's arm was in a cast her leg stitched above her knee and her shirt ripped and bloodied, bandages wrapped around her stomach. There was still a trickle of blood coming from her ear where a small piece of glass sliced her face.

Cameron looked to them as tears flew down their cheeks, she had never seen her mother look so sad and broken and Cammie had a feeling that it wasn't their injuries that were causing them the most pain.

"Cameron," the doctor began. "There was a problem..." Evan reached for Cammie's hand gently touching the scratched flesh that used to be so pristine and perfect. Not like him, he never wanted his daughter to suffer like he had and now... "When the accident ensured we had hoped to be able to..." Cammie couldn't hear the doctor, she was dizzy and confused. Her eyes weren't focusing correctly and she couldn't open her eyes fully, or her mouth.

"What," Cammie tried to speak, but found that she was unable, even the motion of moving her mouth was difficult.

"Don't try to talk sweetie," Scarlett said softly, as teardrops hit Cammie's bed.

"Do you remember the accident?" Evan questioned and Cammie looked to them confused. Accident, what accident?

"There was a car crash..." Scarlett's voice hitched in her throat. "A semi-truck collided with us. You went flying out the front window." Cammie looked to them confused. She was dazed and in pain, but didn't know 100% why. She also didn't know why they were all surrounding her. Doctors and nurses alike gathered around looks of horror and amazement on their faces. There were too many doctors for a car crash.

"Cameron," Evan began. He looked down to his own burnt skin and cringed, he never thought this day would come when he wouldn't be able to help his daughter.

"Cammie we love you so much and are going to do everything we can to make you better again." Scarlett said as she staggered slightly on her hurt leg.

My face! Cammie tried to scream to call out in pain when she was showed her own reflection. Her heart rate went up and she started hyperventilating. My face! My face! What happened to my face? Moans escaped her mouth as a sedative was delivered to her.

"You need to try and stay calm. You had to have stitches in your shoulder. We don't want you pull out your stitches." Cammie's eyes moved away from Dr. Cade and towards her parents. How could they let this happen to her? How could they stand there and let this woman destroy her beautiful face? Cammie's eyes shut involuntarily sending her to sleep with angry thoughts floating through her head.

"Probably best," Evan began as he let go of Cammie's hand. "She won't feel the pain while she sleeps." Evan said softly. "What are we going to do moving forward?" Evan asked after a long hesitation. He looked up to Dr. Cade and saw that a herd of women and men gathered around the room, watching his daughter, eyes wide, looking at her like a freak show, an insolvable case to figure out. They looked at her like people looked at him and it broke Evan to see that. Scarlett cried into Evans shoulder as Dr. Cade looked to Cammie trying to figure out what to do, how to give these people their daughter back.

"I don't know." Dr. Cade told them honestly. "I have sent some emails, made some calls, I am trying to see if anyone has dealt with something as extravagant as this..." Extravagant, Scarlett repeated in her head. Her daughters condition was considered extravagant. "I want to keep her here for the time being. If you want to get cleaned up, take care of anything at home we will keep a close eye on her." Dr. Cade looked around the room, shooing the rest of the doctors and nurses out with her eyes. "Ethaline." She said, keeping Ethaline in the room, she involuntarily took a step towards them. "I want you to stay with Cammie while I try and get some more information from her scans and MRI's."