12

"Hi my mom made a casserole... for you." Colton held it out awkwardly. It had been almost a year since Cammie's initial accident and Clara Fraser still had Colton bring them over food.

"Tell her thank you," Evan said taking it from the boy, he had gotten taller since Evan last saw him. "Would you like to come in, say hi to Cammie?"

"Yes please." He said stepping past Evan and towards the TV room. "Hi Eliot," Colton said when he saw the cartoons playing.

"Hi Colton wanna play?" Eliot held up his video game controller.

"Maybe in a bit, can I talk to your sister first?" Colton questioned. Evan followed behind him putting the casserole in the fridge.

"She's in her room." Eliot said setting up the game for them.

Knock, knock.

"Cammie?" Cammie knew that voice, small, deep and nervous. She sat up on her bed putting her book down next to her, to answer or not to answer. She debated.

"Yeah?" She questioned through the closed door, moving closer.

"It's Colton, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out or..." Colton watched Trix strut between his legs like a trained circus dog.

"You still want to hang out or something?" She questioned opening the door so he could see her face, but he wasn't looking up he was still focused on her cat, purring loudly at his feet.

"Yeah that's what I just said," Colton began and looked up seeing her. "Yes." He said looking her in the eyes and smiling kindly. "Eliot was setting up a video game or we could just talk?" Colton offered and Cammie was amazed at how looked at her as though she didn't ignore him for the past few years, didn't look at her like she was a monster from the deep, didn't look at her like her best friend Fiona did when she saw Cammie's face. Mostly he didn't run away. "Well?" He asked hopefully.

"Okay," Cammie said hesitantly and moved past him, head held high as she descended the stairs down to the family room. "Just a warning I'm amazing at Mario Kart." Cammie informed him.

"So am I." Colton replied with a smirk. He was treating her like a normal person, even after how she treated him and he was treating her so sweetly, so normal.

Cammie half expected Colton to let her win, but he showed her no mercy and he was good. Eliot thought he was hot stuff, but Colton won first in every round but one. Cammie didn't feel like the freak that lost her friends and spent her weekends hanging with her parents and brother, she felt like a kid again, like she had a real friend. He looked at her, keeping that gently smile on his face and Cammie couldn't tell if he was just playing games with her, making her happy to tell everyone what a monster she was. But she had to believe that there were good people in the world still, that Colton might just be one of them.

"Colton, do you want to stay for dinner?" Evan asked as they played Smash Bros, Cammie was Kirby, she thought Kirby was the most useful character. Colton looked down at his watch not realizing how long he had been playing.

"Oh wow, I should get going I didn't realize what time it was. Thank you for having me," Colton said to Evan and Evan nodded returning to his office to save his work.

"Maybe we could do this again?" Cammie offered quietly.

"Yeah, I would like that a lot." Colton replied and Cammie felt her back straighten and her heart pick up speed. A friend, a friend that didn't care about how she looked, it was unexpected and Cammie liked it.