10

"Eliot," Evan said Monday morning. He stood next to Eliot's bed a smile on his face.

"I don't have school today, it's summer." Eliot moaned pulling the blanket over his face and groaning.

"I know, but how would you like to try out boxing again?" Eliot peeked his head out from under the covers.

"I'm listening." He responded.

"Mom is going to take you to Champion boxing it's a boxing club, the owner saw you practicing and wanted you to stop by throw a few punches. What do you say?" Eliot sprung out of bed and ran to the bathroom.

"I'll get changed!" He called ripping off his clothes as he moved.

"Cammie is still asleep, Eliot is putting on his hulk shirt and will be out soon." Evan said victoriously. "You look adorable by the way." Evan added kissing her cheek.

"If I'm going to go to a boxing club I'm going to punch something, I'm not just going to let Eliot have all the fun." Scarlett said, she looked behind Evan and saw Eliot bouncing on his heels, hands up in fists. "You ready?" Scarlett questioned, Evan turned his head still holding onto Scarlett.

"I'm ready." He confirmed.

"Alright eat a bit and we will go."

The club was mainly empty, true it was a Monday morning, but soon after Eliot and Scarlett got the tour of the place people started scattering in. The owner, Conrad said that there was a class for younger boys and girls to spar that he would like Eliot to try out once he got more practice. He assured Scarlett it would be safe. They wore head padding, gloves and a cup so besides a few minor bruises if he lost he would be fine Conrad reassured Scarlett again and again. Scarlett watched Eliot punch and kick, an instructor showed him how to block and duck. Eliot was smiling ear to ear, once he was done with his first lesson. He ran up to Scarlett who was at a neighboring bag and begged to come back tomorrow. He also complained that his arms felt like Jell-o the entire ride home, but he still wanted to learn.

"Would you be okay with putting a hold on one of your other sports for boxing?" Scarlett asked as she downed the rest of her water, sticking it in the cup holder.

"What would I have to give up?" Eliot questioned confused.

"Well, Mr. Conrad said that if you wanted you could come and do lessons with other kids and practice sparing after you get better, you could come a few times a week if you wanted." Scarlett began. Eliot smiled. "Well, if you wanted to continue we would have to consider not doing one of your other sports... on a team. You could still play obviously, but not as much." Scarlett added hesitantly.

"But I don't want to give up basketball or soccer or baseball." Eliot said considering his options.

"Well, Basketball is in the winter and summer, baseball is in the spring and fall and soccer is in the fall, spring, summer, winter..." Scarlett thought through her options. "What if we cut down on soccer and you did boxing and basketball in the summer and see how it goes?"

"I supposed that's fine." Eliot said shaking his empty water bottle into his mouth.

"And in the meantime, we will come once a week or so and you can practice?"

"Okay, and if I want to do more?" He questioned curiously flapping his arms around like limp noodles.

"Then we will decide what do then..." Eliot nodded. "Your dad is going to be so happy and so jealous." Scarlett informed him.