20

"I think we have a face for Cammie." Dr. Cade said with a smile. She felt terrible that she was smiling because finding Cammie a face, a match in every way possible was impossible and meant that God had smiled down on Cammie, but struck down on another little girl.

"What?" Evan and Scarlett said in unison. Cammie's jaw dropped, eyes wide. A new face? Was she kidding? Was this some sick joke? They said it was impossible.

"A face? Like a new face? I didn't know that was possible." Evan questioned thinking that he more than anyone should have known about getting a new face sooner.

"It's just that we have never had a case like this and with her skeletal structure shattered we would need a perfect match and I think we found one." Dr. Cade went on. "You are the same gender, race, approximate age, share compatible blood types and antigens. A whole bunch of other things that make you, Cameron, the perfect match."

"Who?" They all said.

"You want to steal my daughters face?" Ms. Harmon yelled through tears as she gripped her daughters lifeless hand.

"There is a little girl that suffered immensely over a year ago, her face was destroyed in an accident and-" her daughters doctor began.

"No, I won't give anyone my daughters face!" She yelled tears running down her pale face. "Get out!"

"I'm sorry, but the mother said no." Dr. Cade told Evan and Scarlett regretfully. "I should have been more careful about telling you, I was just so excited at the possibility." Dr. Cade said, furrowing her brow, Scarlett and Evan swallowed down their excitement, replaced by dismay. "I am so sorry. It was a long shot and I never should have..." She repeated. "I never should have said anything until it was set, but I wanted to give Cammie hope." Dr. Cade informed Scarlett and Evan. Cammie was not present for this. Dr. Cade thought it best that she tell her parents first, maybe they would know how to break the news to her. To tell her that Dr. Cade failed her yet again. "I am not giving up." She informed them. "I am going to move forward with her eyes as planned originally. If that's alright?" Scarlett and Evan nodded. "And now that this new option," being Caroline Harmon's face, "came to mind..." Dr. Cade looked to them, their hands interlocked, small frowns on their faces. "I am hopeful that we can find another face, another person with a similar situation..." She stammered. "Not hopeful I would never wish..."

"We understand." Scarlett cut in, seeing Dr. Cade getting more flustered with each word spoken.

"It was a long shot anyways, and dangerous." Evan repeated clasping Scarlett's hand in his. "We will explain it to her. She will understand." Evan said robotically. And Cammie did understand. She cried and then laughed. She said she was done drying over things out of her control. She forced herself to laugh every time she thought she was going to cry.

"Ha, ha, ha." Cammie laughed a pained grin on her face. "It's fine, it's whatever."

"We are so sorry sweetheart." Scarlett said trying to hold back tears.

"Ha, ha, ha," she continued to laugh. "It's fine, I will have perfectly even eyes and a face like mush still. Whatever." She said again. Cammie hadn't told anyone that she was getting a new face, that she was going to be herself again because who did she have to tell? Colton came back soon from vacation and he was the only she wanted to tell. She had it all planned out she would say take a good look because this is the last time you are going to see this monstrosity that is my face. Then he would say something cute like, I will like you even if the surgery doesn't happen and I get to look at you like this every single day. Yeah, Cammie decided that's what he would say and he would still be her friend as though nothing changed. Because nothing indeed did change.

"So tomorrow we are going to fix up my eyes right? The blood work was good." Cammie questioned as she was wheeled out of the room and down the hall with her nurse, Ethaline.

"Yeah, what are you going to do to celebrate? 13 surgeries, that's a big deal. We should have a party for all you went through."

"I'm a veteran here, I should have my name on an office door." Cammie announced when the elevator door opened. "I think Colton and I are going to watch star trek afterwards. He wants to turn me into a trekie or whatever they are called but I don't know, I'm not a fan of space stuff. Eliot was upset that Colton was the one to finally get me to agree to watch them, since Eliot has been trying to get me to watch them since he first saw them."

"I liked the movies, Chris Pine is quite handsome." Ethaline said, she kept her glance forward as the three other people in the elevator looked down at Cammie faces filled with horror and confusion.

"Yeah I suppose." One of the men got off the elevator giving Cammie a small pitiful smile.

"So Colton, he your boyfriend?" Ethaline went on.

"No, he's just a friend, a good friend. What about you any boys in your life?" Cammie prodded as the elevator opened to the third floor.

"Well I did do this dating show..." Ethaline began.

"Shut up!" Cammie said turning back to Ethaline as the doors of the elevator closed, the woman inside locked eyes with her, tears falling fiercely down her face. "How come I didn't know about this sooner? Tell me more! What show?"

A/N

Reader Bachelor's wing woman to read more about Ethaline's dating show experience!

Masked (burnt book2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara