Company

"Did you hear?" Mandy muttered beside me against the lockers. I grabbed my materials and headed down the hall towards English.

"Hear what?" I implored.

"New kid. Apparently he's from somewhere in Canada or something."

"Canada?" I screwed up my face as we both exchanged a laugh.

I hurried to my seat and waited for the final bell to ring. His presence was strong when he took his chair beside me, his body positioned in my direction. "Where is it?"

"Where's what?" I laughed, making eye contract with ocean blue eyes. The small smirk on his lips were inviting, warming. A small playful growl left his throat, so silent only I could hear.

I rolled my eyes as I searched my sweater pocket for the photo I snatched last night at dinner. Ever since I met his father a few weeks back, our family has been having dinner together every few days now. After we ate, we would all be forced to talk; And so we ended up spending time together more than I liked, or at least at the time. Now I could almost tolerate the guy.

I slide the picture over to him with a slight pout. His eyes calmed slowly as he brushed his fingers against mine. I quickly handed over the photo, pulling my hand back.

"I already made copies" I assured him. "And I tweeted it"

His mouth opened in a gasped as he looked at me and then down at the photo. His eyes glazed over the naked ten-month-old boy gripping a worn yellow blanket, his bare feet in the air.

"You're kidding" he begged.

I grinned wickedly over at him, raising my eyebrows.

"You've lost your privileges. No longer are you allowed in my room unsupervised." He lectured as he searched his phone.

"BooHoo" I mocked.

"This is a serious crime, Mia. Child pornography is illegal" he frowned as he slipped the picture into his jeans pocket.

"Punish me." I continued to mock with a roll of my eyes.

He went quiet as his eyes deepened. "Don't give me any ideas." he mumbled quietly. It felt intimate, a warning. I turned my head to the front, no longer encouraging our conversation.

Over the past few weeks, he reduced his advances towards me. They have been less point blank and more aimed towards the development of a weird friendship.

I noticed a tall person standing in front of the class for the first time. He was talking to the teacher, deep in conversation. I took note of his build, his dark skin that seemed to have a glow. He turned to the class as the teacher began to quiet everyone. I glimpsed his chocolate brown eyes as he scanned the room curiously, his teeth nibbling on his lower lip nervously.

"Everyone, this is Noah. He's a transfer student from Canada"

"Welcome, eh." Someone muttered from the back of the class, causing people to start snickering.

Surprisingly, Noah flashed a wide smile at the joke. He took the only free seat in the class near the front and settled in.

"Mia."

My head shot up to look at my English teacher. "Yes, Sir" I stuttered.

"You don't mind showing Noah around, do you?" He asked. Why? Because I was the only other black person in the class?

"I...I..." I stammered when Noah's brown eyes met mine. His smile made me nervous.

"I'll do it." Christian volunteered openly, his eyes narrowed at me. For some reason, I felt as if I did something wrong.