Emotional Attachment

The silence in the car grew thicker by the minute, it was almost deafening. I gazed out the window as the trees zoomed by; counting the amount of deer I spotted along the way. He cleared his throat for the third time and I fixated on not caving in and looking at him.

"Are you alright?" he wondered. I was expecting a little more anger so this caught me off guard. I opened my mouth to speak but I closed it quick, remaining silent. "Are we really playing this game?"

I rolled my eyes at the window unable to remain unmoved. I bit my lips at the anger it would cause him if I remained silent the whole drive back.

"It's not fair you know. You get angry at me, you walk out on me, and I'm the one trying to resolve this." He sighed as he pulled into a large parking lot.

"Why are we stopping?" I asked quickly.

"Oh she speaks." he muttered as he got out of the car, not answering my question. I got out of the car shutting the door a little too hard. He looked over at me in slight irritation and I realized I probably should have been more careful with his car.

"Why are we stopping?" I asked again as I looked around the lot filled with cars.

"We'll spend the night here and head back in the morning. It's late and I'm tired." He grumbled.

"I thought wolves didn't need much sleep."

His features lightened up a little as I earned a small smirk. "You'd be surprised."

He locked the car with the remote and entered through the hotel doors. I followed behind him, hugging myself as I tried to keep warm. He got the key for our suite and we headed up in the elevator.

I was surprised when he took a few blankets from the closet as well as a pillow and occupied the living room floor. I watched in silence as he moved the coffee table and made his bed. I fumbled around in the lightly stocked kitchen as I looked for something to eat. I haven't eaten since this morning.

"I'm hungry." I cried, wondering if anyone cared.

"Order room service." he muttered as I heard the balcony door open. I followed his suggestion and picked up the hotel menu. I blinked a few times to make sure I was reading it correctly. The prices were way too high.

I place the menu back on the table until my stomach growled, and then I picked it back up. I bit my lip as I thought of what to order. I glanced out the screen door at Christian on the phone as I wonder if he wanted something.

How private must the conversation be to leave the room? Couldn't he talk on the home while I was still here?

Something turned deep in my stomach as my lack of trust for the world came back. Trusting people haven't worked out so well for me. Maybe I should just let him be, and focus on myself. He could talk to whomever he wanted it wasn't my concern.

I glanced back at the menu, this time not caring about the price.

Half an hour later, and after staring out the glass at Christian, the food arrived. My appetite seemed to have disappeared as I watched him laugh and talk on his phone. I stared down at the metal domes in front of me and felt repulsive.

I gave up trying to wait for my appetite to come back and decided to call it a night. I curled into bed, hugged the cold sheets to me as I waited for them to warm up.

I twisted until I found a warm spot and relaxed into the bed. I could tell I wasn't asleep long when I had to get up to use the washroom.

I could spot the light through the crack of the bedroom door so I knew he was probably still up on the phone.