The Talented One

I woke up and ate breakfast like I always did but I wasn't at home. Mandy was fine with me showing up late at night. She was even fine with me taking her car out for a drive. I couldn't sleep. It was absolutely disturbing as my thoughts pounded against my head. I just wanted to clear everything out, and a drive seemed perfect.

Except I had nowhere to go so I kept driving. When I entered the highway, I was completely unaware of where I was headed. The open road felt great because there was minimal traffic. I'm sure this was not what Mandy had in mind when she allowed me to borrow her car but I would be back soon, even though I was hours away from her house by now.

When I drew closer to San Francisco I knew where I was headed. I didn't know why I was headed there but I just kept going. I had mapped this out years ago. It was when school became unbearable and it seemed as if my parents didn't care.

I had found out all the details, asked every question, and researched every possibility. It was my run-away plans. I knew everything I needed to know, I just needed to turn eighteen. And now I was eighteen so what's to stop me?

I didn't pack any clothing or any belongings but maybe it wont even matter. Maybe I wont even need it. But what if they didn't want me? What if I found them but they didn't want to be located. I killed the engine and stared at the orphanage home. Kids played on the front porch as an old lady took her time gardening.

I didn't remember the place, only what my parents told me. I took deep breaths before I was able to hop out of the car. There was no turning back. This was what I came for right? I hesitantly walked up the steps to the front door. It was an open space was a few kids running around.

Some gathered in corners and stared at me, whispering among themselves.

"What are you looking for?" a young girl with bright eyes asked me. She stared up at me with a large smile and puffy cheeks.

"Umm... is there someone I could talk to?" I muttered.

She took my hand comfortably and led me through their home until we entered an office type room. A lady with silver hair met my gazing. "Hi, honey. Sorry I wasn't able to meet you outside." she apologized seemingly busy. "What can I do for you?"

"I... " I cleared my throat. Was I really here before? Did I live here? I looked around the room at all the pictures on the walls, from babies in diapers to adults holding up certificates and wearing gowns. What would my life had been like if I grew up here, I wondered.

"Hi, I'm Doreen." she took my hand gently and shook it. It was very welcoming and kind. I smiled at the encounter, feeling more relaxed.

"Tammia," I smiled. "I was adopted from here."

Her eyes opened in shock and then joy. "Last name?" she went around her computer and brought it to life.

"Johnson." I muttered.

She typed it quickly and then hit enter. "Ayla" she smiled.

"Excuse me?"

She laughed before she came over and embraced me. "It was a nickname a few of the staffs back then gave you. Because of your birthmark." she explained.

She guided me out of the office and onto the front porch to where most of the kids were. We sat down after she offered me something to drink.

I felt weirdly comforted that other people liked me well enough to give me a nickname.

"How have you been?" she inquired.

"It's been good." I nodded as I bit my lip. I didn't know how to ask about any of this so I started easy. "Why did they pick Ayla?"