The Skyliners

All I could see was fire. It was blazing and wild, untameable. I could feel the heat on my skin and then the fear deep within my gut. I felt pain and sorrow, before it slowly died away.

I tossed and settled into bed; allowing my body to cool down, sweat staining the sheets beneath my body.

I didn't know how long it was before the room door busted open and I shrieked. My startled body was wide-awake now, well aware of the noise and the shouting from the living room.

"Get dressed." He muttered, throwing my clothing on the bed.

"Why?" I wondered, reaching for my shirt to pull it over my body.

"We're leaving." his mouth was sewn shut and his face was marked with worry lines. I wanted to sooth him, but it seemed all I could do was do as I was told, as fast as I could.

Noise continued in the living room as I heard voices talking over each other, everyone frustrated about something.

When I finally made my way into the living room, it appeared everyone cleared out. "What time is it?" I asked hesitantly.

"Almost 4 am." He held my hand, kissing my fingers. "We have to go."

He led me out of the hotel room and before I knew it, we were in his car heading home. I glanced over at him from my seat, wondering why we couldn't wait till the sun at least came up. A large yawn left my mouth and my head fell against the car window, my eyes closing.

'I'm on my way. Has everyone arrived?'

"Arrived where?" I wondered sleepily, my mind unable to remain awake.

"What?" He asked.

"What you said."

"I didn't say anything..." He died off and then there was silence. I could tell he was trying to figure out what I was talking about. Maybe I imagined it. I was exhausted.

"Stop staring at me and pay attention to the road." I could feel his eyes on the side of my face.

He sighed before I felt the car sped up. When the car stopped, I opened my eyes expecting to be outside my house; instead I was at a cabin. It was off a dirt road in the middle of the forest.

I paused as I witnessed all the cars surrounding the larger wooden house. The lights were on and I could hear murmurs coming from the frame.

"Is this a party?" I wondered.

"Far from it. Let's go." He ordered. This was beyond my nature. I didn't like to follow blindly. Imagine if you were woken up three in the morning with no explanation, then waking up in the middle of the woods. Would you be happy? Didn't think so. And if you said yes, you'd be lying.

I followed him into the house despite my reservations and my feelings. I was not expecting the crowd I walked into. From the outside, the house didn't look large enough to be able to house as much people as it did right now. Everyone I knew from school seemed to be here, everyone talking.

"Finally," Zahara welcomed as she stood from her seat. "What took so long?"

"I had to go back to the hotel." Christian muttered, taking my hand and guiding me into the room. Everything appeared earthy. It looked to be made out of oak, hand crafted and polished. It was some how comforting to be around so much earth.

"You never told me you left the hotel when I fell asleep." I muttered to him. He looked down at me before kissing my forehead and joining the others.