Best Wishes

Today felt like any other day. The sun was out. My parents were gone. And I was alone. Today was like any other, except it wasn't. I was eighteen. I didn't feel any different, any older, but it was my birthday.

I got ready like always and headed down the stairs. I grabbed my envelop from the table beside the door and the car keys. It was a tradition between Madison and I. The birthday girl got the car for a day. Since Madison practically had the car everyday, this promise only impacted me. I opened the door to find a small white envelop with my name handwritten on it. I grabbed it in confusion, but stuffed it into my bag with the rest of my things.

I got to school faster than I usually did, so I sat in the parking lot, my feet on the passenger side dashboard scrolling through twitter and Instagram. I rarely posted, only viewed what others chose to display.

A light tap on my window woke me from my daze. I smiled and waved at Mandy then gathered my things.

"Happy birthday" she smiled, hugging me tight.

"Thanks" I threw my bag over my shoulder as we walked in together with Noah.

"Oh, happy birthday" Noah joined in hesitantly.

I laughed "Thanks. Where's my gift?" I stretched out my hand expectantly.

Noah looked around quickly, taking the pen from Mandy's hand, and then handing it to me. "It's nothing big but it's the thought that counts" he joked.

Mandy grabbed her pen from my fingers in irritation, shaking her head.

"I'll remember that for your birthday" I laughed.

We made our way separately to class after putting away our bags. Everything felt normal and calm until lunch. I entered into the cafeteria as usual but then stopped dead at the entrance when I saw the large banner that read "Happy Birthday Tammia". I could feel my coco skin heating up from the attention.

The cheerleaders, including my sister, began cheering spontaneously. I couldn't hear what they were spelling, only that the crowd on both sides of the café had their eyes glued to me at the entrance.

Without warning, the football team ran in loudly, roaring and chanting. I could feel my blood draining from my body when Warren and Jack ran up to me in their football gears.

"Wait, no," I whispered to them. I squirmed in their arms as they held me securely, dragging me down the stairs. I didn't see this coming when I woke up. Everything seemed so normal. Except now it wasn't. I wanted to cry.

As they brought me down the aisle and underneath the banner, they kept me in place from running off. I stood between the football team as the school cheered 'happy birthday' to me.

"I hate you all" I muttered in torture. The pressure was getting to me. The attention made my skin crawl and my heart accelerated. I had anxiety. And every little thing worried me. I never had birthday parties because they did not bring my joy, only nervousness. And here I was, at the center of attention in front of the whole school. As everyone began to sing 'happy birthday', two football players dressed from head to toe opened the cafeteria doors again, revealing Christian with an enormous pile of flowers. They were every possible color in the rainbow and everything in between. My mouth opened and my heart began to race. This was because of him? He did this? But why?

I watched along with the crowd as he descended down the steps in a t-shirt and tie over dark jeans. My mouth watered before I caught myself. I've wanted someone like that walking towards me all my life. And here he was walking towards me, of all people.

I regretted my grey slacks that I pulled on this morning. I mourned my hair that was placed in a messy bun on top of my head. And I cried internally at the raggedy old sneakers on my feet. I wanted to disappear into my closet and come back.