Chemistry

I woke up early to get ready for school reluctantly. I knew my life at school was about to get worse again so I wasn't about to be late. I wanted to get there early before he did. I pulled on a short summer dress, allowing my legs to show. I pulled my back-length hair out of their braids, piling it on top of my head in a bun. I used light make-up so it looked natural before I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs, taking the envelope containing my allowance off the end table near the door.

Maddison and I shared a car but getting the keys from her was a waste of my time. But riding with her to school was also painful, so my best chance was walking.

My well-worn Allstar was equipped for walking to school. I tried my hardest not to think about today and the things I will go through. When I arrived and found my locker, I opened it carefully to ensure nothing jumped out on me like two years ago. They had placed a large rat in my locker, video tapped it and placed it on Facebook. My parents had to come to school before serious actions were taken and before the video got removed. Unfortunately, we all know that once something gets on the internet, it's never really gone.

I quickly got my things together and headed off to class early. The whole day I was on edge. I had no idea what to expect and when to expect it. By lunch, I was reacting to every little vibration, expecting the worse. As I sat to eat beside my best friend Mandy, I watched at the corner of my eye as people welcomed back Christain, his girl friend Hailey on his arm.

When he left, she began to date the new quarterback, and up-until yesterday, I thought she still was. But now she was on his arm like nothing had changed.

The sip of juice I took to help the piece of sandwich in my mouth to go down easier, went down the wrong pipe. I covered my mouth and closed my eyes as I cough roughly.

"Are you okay?" Mandy laughed as she patted my back.

"Yeah, fine." I gasped repeatedly. I blinked as I fight to swallow, my breathing stopped.

When I finally came up for air, I relaxed in my seat. Across the room, a low growl filled the cafeteria. It seemed like no one heard it because no one reacted, but when I turned to look, Christain was out of his seat and on his feet. His body was rigid, as if he was fighting with himself, trying to remain where he stood.

Anger and pain was written across his face, his fingers digging into the oak wood of the lunch table. His eyes seemed glazed and seemed focused ... on me...

I stared back in fright. It was like he was holding himself back from heading over here, fighting against his urge. But why would he hold back? Maybe this was my chance to get away... something big was coming.

I rose quickly from my seat, running for the exit. He didn't have to try and warn me twice; I got the message loud and clear. I hurried to the library for safety until lunch was over then headed to my next class.

I arrived early as always. I knew he was also in this class as well, like all his friends, so I kept my head down. Before class began, I felt a presence in front of my desk, hovering over me.

I keep my head down in hopes they would leave but when they didn't, I looked up hesitantly.

"Are you alright?" He muttered through clenched teeth.

I stared up into his face, startled and confused.

"What?" I questioned, not understanding what he wanted from me. As much as I wanted to tell him to fuck off, I couldn't. It was something about his eyes that just held you where you were, made you forget all your hate. And trust me when I said I had a lot of it.

"You were choking," he muttered, his eyes now weary and tiresome. "I have to know that you're okay." He explained

"Why?" I shook my head after a minute of silence. "So you can choke me yourself?"

His brows pressed together as if that was the last thing he would do.

"That's fair" he sighed as he rubbed my desk soothingly. Why was he still here? Talking to me as if we were friends?

"If you're going to do something, I suggest you get it over with before the teacher gets here." I sighed, fastening the inevitable. I prepared myself for what could come next.

When I saw his hand rise, I closed my eyes, bracing myself. I gasped when I felt his cool finger tips run against my forehead, brushing the loose stands of hair to the side.

What the hell was happening? Was he having an off day?

I pushed his hand away from my face harshly, mainly out of confusion. The low growl I heard in the cafeteria appeared once more, this time from his chest. He held my hand as a form of protest, but eventually sighed and let go.

He walked away, leaving me even more confused and on edge.

I sat in my seat, wondering what was happening. Things between us could not have changed so quickly after just one year. This all started in grade three after Jena Sormor told him I liked him.

A year apart could have never changed so much, it wasn't possible.

I decided it was probably all a trick, for me to let my guard down so he could really hurt me. That must be it. Well it wasn't going to work, I wasn't giving in so quickly.

As soon as class was over, I hurried out and headed straight to my next class.

Today was the weirdest day at school and the most freighting. Trying to stay on top of everything was a lot of work. I hurried out of the building and headed to the parking lot to wait for my sister so we could drive home.

As I leaned against our car, he appeared from the main doors, his posse crowded around him. I tried to remain still, not wanting their attention to turn to me. I bent to tie my shoe lace, trying my best to hide.

"Get in" a husky voice instructed from behind me. I turned to see a satiny silver car with the window rolled down, Christain's hand resting on the door while his other hand held the wheel.

"Me?" I wondered

"There is no one else here" he muttered amused.

"No. Go away" I brushed off

"Mia, please" he begged. Christian begging? What on earth was happening today?

"No" I shook my head. I had no idea where he would carry me or if I would survive the car ride.

"Your sister has practice until 5:30. Unless you want to stay out here until then, I suggest you get your ass in the car"

"Don't talk about my ass." I snapped, shocked he was talking to me more than anything.

I felt slightly irritated that Maddison never told me about her cheerleading practice.

"You have no idea how badly I want to spank you right now" he muttered to himself, his head resting on his head rest.

"what?" My panty tightened at his threat, my throat dry. I couldn't have heard him properly.

"Get in the car" he muttered with a sigh.

"Don't you have football practice or something?" I wondered out loud.

"Look at that." He smirked "you care." His smile seemed genuine, as if he was truly happy.

"Please" I snorted as I rolled my eyes.

"Okay," he sighed "what do I have to do to get you in this car"

"Die" I suggested with a raised eyebrows.

"That's hard to do, love. Especially when I wouldn't see your face anymore"

I stood in the parking lot with my mouth opened and my body numb. This was the trick. to try and flirt with me until I fell for him so he could break my heart. That has to be it.

"Fine" I pursed my lip "I'll play along." I walked over to the passenger side and got in. "Hope you're in for the long run" I warned.

He glanced over at me passively as he started his engine, easing out of the parking lot.