Radiance

I woke up feeling exhausted. All night I heard voices in my head. It was like static or a broken radio transmitting messages through far distances. I also saw visions of trees and fire. It was all blurry and intense, as if I was in someone else's body. At times I could even feel the heat from the flames, I couldn't explain it.

I got ready at my own pace and then headed out for school. I was slightly surprised to see Christian waiting outside in his car.

"Good morning, beautiful." he smiled as I hopped into the passenger seat.

"You seem happy." I acknowledged as a yawn escaped my lips.

"I'm always happy to see you. Stayed up dreaming about me last night?" he smirked.

"Whatever builds your ego." I mumbled.

He chuckled to himself quietly as he glanced out the side of his window. When we pulled up at school, he walked to the side of the car and opened the door for me.

"I thought we were keeping 'us' low profile." I reminded.

"The entire school knows about us, nothing is going to change that."

I hopped out of the car and he took my hand, intertwining our fingers. Christian Williams was about to walk me into school. How was this even happening?

The walk in was as dramatic as I thought it would be. Eyes and ears were turned in our direction. It was the first time we have walked into school together holding hands and making it known. I spotted Hailey in the corner with a few of her friends whispering. I turned my head away, not caring for their stares.

He waited for me at my locker and then walked me to class.

"Are you sure you want to keep this private?" He asked before I entered the classroom.

"Yes, I do."

"I don't like it." he shook his head, taking my fingers.

"We can make it work." I encouraged.

He gazed up at me through his lashes and I leaned against the wall for strength.

"I'm hearing that the council will be sending in someone to make sure my pack is following the rules." he finally spoke.

"The discrimination against humans." I muttered causing him to give me a look. "When did you hear this?"

"Jack said something a few minutes ago."

"How? I didn't see you talking to him."

"We're linked," he explained before he paused. "It's a wolf thing."

"And I wouldn't understand..." I challenged before he took my hand and kissed it.

"I can just tell the council," he muttered before I stopped him.

"But I'm not sure about this yet," I signalled between us. "I need more time. We have to agree to do what it takes to keep this a secret."

"I don't like to lie, Mia. It's not who I am. But I'll agree to this, even though it hurts me that you're not sure about us." He admitted.

I didn't know what to say. I placed my lips to his briefly and he pulled me into his arms.

"I'm late and so are you." I muttered against his lips.

"Right." he nodded his head and walked to class.

During the period, I noticed someone in the back staring at me. I have never seen her before, even at school. When class was over, I waited outside for Christian but he didn't show up.