His Mark

I scurried down the empty hall as I ran for my locker. I can't believe I over slept. I never over-sleep. But the dream was too good to wake from.

It had ocean blue eyes and a large, picturesque threatening smile. God, he was all over my head since that kiss in the woods, if I could even call it that. Our lips touched, nothing big. But it was, for me at least.

I hurried into Math class and took a seat near the back. The teacher eyed me quickly but continued with the lesson plan. After class, I made my way to the front.

"I am so sorr-" I began before I was interrupted.

"Save it," I was handed a large black plastic bag. "You know the drill Ms. Johnson. If you're late, you clean the courtyard. I can't play favorites."

I groaned in submission, grabbing the plastic bag and tucking it into my sweater. As if I really needed more embarrassment at this school. When things seemed to be looking up for me, it just gets worse.

I dropped off my belonging at my locker when the lunch bell rang, my mood dropping drastically.

"It won't be that bad" Mandy tried to cheer me up.

"Then do it with me." I challenged.

"We can't both suffer from social suicide." She teased, humor written on her features.

"Right, as if I had any to loose."

"On the contrary, you have plenty. Its so obvious you and Christian have been cozying up to each other." She winked. "And that my sweet Mia is all you need to bring you to the top."

"Yeah, tell me that after I finish cleaning up after these animals," I mumbled as we exited the school building and entered the large courtyard.

"I'll see you later" she sympathized as she went to eat her lunch. I wasn't in the mood for food. I just wanted to get this over with and never get myself in this situation again. It was humiliating, especially when the school made it their priority to make it an event.

They threw their garbage on the ground deliberately, taunted and chanted slurs every time you walked by, and played target practice with your head.

I sighed and opened the large garbage bag and slipped on my pair of gloves. I kept my head down as I located pieces of plastics and containers on the ground, maneuvering around tables and chairs.

Murmurs continued around me but I ignored them, trying to complete this as fast as possible. I saw a few others picking up trash as well causing me to feeling a bit of comfort that I wasn't alone. I watched as Jack stood to his feet and aimed for the bag in one of my comrade's hands. The box of milk bounced off the person's shirt, spilling all over his pants, and hitting the grass. As laughs exploded around me, the guy bent and collected the box, adding to his humiliation. I didn't know who he was, but I could relate to him.

I jumped when I bumped into someone suddenly. I was scared I would be the next target practice like old times.

"Why are you taking up trash?" he asked, his brows knitted together.

"I was late" I grumbled, going around him. Before I could reach for the empty bottle of water, he grabbed it, placing it in the bag.

"That's enough," he mumbled as he reached for the bag.

"Ummm," I stared up into his melting gaze with admiration and slight irritation. I've been trying to avoid him since the kiss but he's been making it hard. He didn't give me a choice. "I don't think that's how it works. I don't stop until this courtyard is cleaned." I informed. I watched as the other people gather trash continued to be taunted. "And instead of telling me to stop, why don't you do something about your friends" I sneered.