Chapter Twenty-Five: I Love Him

|Kat|

Early 1999

Joli bounced little Scottie on her lap, earning tons of baby giggles. She tried to teach her new words, but Scottie only knew how to say "hi". I sat right beside them, helping make funny faces at Scottie.

"I wish I could have kids like this with Kev one day," Joli said. She smiled brightly as Scottie giggled and made noises.

"Why can't you?" I asked.

Joli's smile fell. "It's not possible for me."

I wasn't sure exactly what she meant by that, but I didn't want to push her to talk about it. It was obvious that Joli would love to eventually have kids if she could, and I thought she'd be a fantastic mother.

"Well you're a great aunt. Scottie loves you," I said, trying to cheer her up. "You could always adopt."

Joli grinned mischievously, pushing those bad thoughts from her head. "Okay, I want this one."

I couldn't help but shake my head at her. "You can't have Scottie," I protested. "...Maybe the next one."

"The next one?"

I shrugged. "You never know. I've been hitting it off with that guy from work I told you about." My face flushed, thinking of him.

"Adam?" she asked in a delighted tone.

"Yes, him. He's really good with Scottie."

"You'd make very pretty babies with him. Can I put one on order?"

"Joli!"

She laughed. "You're the one who brought it up. I'll be like a witch, taking your first born child as payment."

"Payment for what?"

"Being the joy in your life. You're welcome."

"You think you're the joy in everyone's life," I said.

"That's because it's true." Little Scottie laughed. "See, even Scottie agrees with me."

I really couldn't have asked for a better best friend. Joli was such a mentor for me. She helped me through the breakup, and stayed close with me after.

I hoped one day it would be possible for her to have a baby, or maybe adopt a child. We could bond over being moms together, and have little play dates. Scottie needed some friends. So far, I was the only one of my friends to become a mother. It would be wonderful to have a mom friend to plan things with, scare cute stories with, and cry with. As much as I loved Scottie and being her mom, it wasn't easy.

Joli was a big help, but I knew she longed to have her own someday.

***

When I arrived at Joli's home, I was greeted warmly as always. Usually Joli would take the opportunity for a smoke break as soon as I got there, but that wasn't the case this time. Instead, she lead me into the kitchen. Kev was close behind us, while Scottie played with the toys they kept for her in the living room.

"I actually have something to talk to you about," I said. I set my purse down at the table as Joli took a seat. I started sifting through my bag, which doubled as a diaper bag for Scottie, for the various papers and pamphlets I had shoved in there. I sprawled them out on the table for Joli to look at. "It was Leslie's idea, really. I was thinking I could be a surrogate for you guys."

For the first time since I'd known her, Joli was speechless. Kev looked over her shoulder, trying to read whatever was on the top of the pile. Joli took a minute to stare at the papers before she said anything. "But... your career."