Chapter Thirty-Nine: It'd Be An Honor

|Kat|

Summer 1998

Joli held my hair back as I retched into her toilet. So far, my first trimester had been terrible, and it was almost impossible for me to keep food in my stomach.

Joli, ever supportive, rubbed my back as I finished. "I'll go get something to help settle your stomach."

I slumped against the bathtub as she left. Though they were trying to be quiet, I could hear Joli and Kev talking about me in the other room.

"She's scared, Kev."

"She's just a kid."

"If I ever see that bastard, I swear--"

"Why don't you take a smoke break?" Kev suggested, trying to calm Joli down. "I'll take care of her."

Soon enough, Kev's massive frame filled the door to the bathroom. "Hey, here's this." He handed me a glass full of sprite. "Do you need me to get anything else? Tums, Pepto? A blanket, maybe?"

His question fell on deaf ears since I was too wrapped up in my own thoughts and fears. A sob burst out of me.

"I don't think I can do this," I admitted quietly.

Hearing that, Kev lowered himself onto the floor next to me, attempting to bring me some comfort. "Yes, you can. You put so much of your heart into everything; I'm not sure there's anything you can't do if you put your mind to it."

"I couldn't help Shawn."

He was quiet for a moment. "You can't fix people. Shawn has to want to get better, and it's something he needs to do on his own. You did the best you could."

"You warned me. Everyone told me not to get involved with Shawn, but I did it anyway."

"You can't help who you love. You're not gonna get any, 'I told you so's from me. You think I thought I'd fall for my best friend?"

I sniffed. "But you guys are so happy. Now Shawn's gone, and I'm alone."

"You really think we're gonna let you  go through this alone?"

"You're Shawn's friends."

"We're your friends too. And we'll be here for you no matter what happens," Kev said. The words warmed my anxious heart. There was a small part of me that did believe the Kliq would abandon me after the breakup.

I leaned against Kev and hugged him tightly. "Thank you for being here. You're a really good friend."

Kev wrapped his arms around me as well. "I know you'd do the same if it were me in your position."

***

Since Joli was so far along in her pregnancy, I insisted on being the one to travel to her. I had been home long enough now to warrant a visit.

As soon as Kev answered the door, Scottie darted between his legs in search of Joli. Kev's bewildered expression made me laugh. If anything, having Scottie over was a parenting trial run.

"She's a little excited. How is it being home?" I asked Kev. He had taken time off of work to be there for Joli and the baby.

He led me into the living room. "I could ask you the same."

"I don't live with a pregnant Joli," I pointed out.

An amused smile grew on his lips. "It's been nice. The pregnancy may impact her moods some, but I'm used to her by now. Mostly, I'm just excited to meet our son."