Chapter Thirty-Four: My Biggest Cheerleader

|Shawn|

Circa 1997

An assortment of craft supplies and all things sparkles littered the coffee table. Kat and I sat on the floor in front of it, while I watched her work on her scrapbook. I was glad she had a hobby of her own, but the amount of ribbons, markers, tape, and everything else was enormous. Every square inch of the table was covering in something, but at least Kat was having fun.

With all the care in the world, Kat went about assembling page after page full of photos from our travels, cute little notes, and whatever extras felt necessary. Kat was always a sucker for pictures, and it showed. Before she moved in, I didn't have a single framed photo. Now they littered the walls of our home.

"Will the wedding invitations be like this too?" I teased. I wouldn't put it past Kat to make them herself, glitter and all.

"Don't be silly. Wedding invitations are--" While reaching past me for some stickers, her arm knocked into an open container of glitter, sending it spilling into the floor.

My lap and the hardwood floor around me were coated in glitter. I had never been so shimmery in my entire life. I froze, trying to minimize the mess I would cause by moving.

"Shit! Shawn, I'm so sorry," Kat exclaimed. Though the splash had also impacted her, it was clear my sweatpants got the worst of it.

"It's fine. I knew my outfit was missing something."

Kat hurriedly fetched a broom and dust pan. Watching her sweep my legs with a broom was comical, but it was even worse when I stood up.

"This is never going to be clean, is it?" She asked, watching as pink sparkles drifted from my pants onto the floor and got stuck in every wood grain.

"I think the only way to get rid of all of it would be to burn down the house."

Kat started giggling, and it wasn't long before her laughter became contagious. The absurdity of it all got to us, to the point where we couldn't even think of cleaning it.

Here I was, a grown man with pink glitter all over his gray sweatpants. Kat held onto the broom and dust pan like they weren't useless, meanwhile it felt like our entire living room had been sparkled.

Kat was the one person in the world who made even the messiest moments fun. I couldn't even be angry at the ridiculous situation we were in. If she was around, I would gladly take a hundred more glitter bombs.

***

Kat finished taping up another box and tapped the top of it from her position on the floor. "This one's ready. I didn't realize the kid had this much stuff."

I grabbed the box to carry it into the hall with the others. Since the move was so far and we had the money to spend, Kat and I decided to use a moving service to transport the majority of her and Scottie's things to San Antonio. Kat had more days off than I did now, so she had already packed most of it. All that was left was Scottie's room and the few necessities we were still using.

"How much of this is just stuff your dad bought for her?" I asked, piling the box on top of the others.

"Probably all of it." Kat got to work on filling the next box with more of Scottie's toys. "You know, once we get moved in, I'm seriously having her go through these things. She doesn't need all of this."

I gazed at her, taking in just how exhausted she looked. We had been at this all day, after flying in from work the night before. Kat was prone to overworking herself.