Chapter Forty-One: You're a Lifesaver

|Kat|

Spring 1994

After Shane and my father had effectively scared away any possible dates, I had no real drive to attend my senior prom. That is, until Steph begged me to go. Since she was a year behind me in school, this was the only chance we had at going to a dance together.

Steph was blossoming socially but insisted on sharing the experience with me. When I promised I'd go with, she squealed with joy and ran to tell our mother.

Picking dresses, doing makeup, and taking a whole bunch of pictures together was a lot of fun. But now that Steph had found her group of friends and run off, there wasn't much for me to do but stand awkwardly off to the side of the gym.

"Hey, Kat, nice dress." Before I could mutter any kind of thanks, she added, "Did you have to stuff your bra?"

Memories from middle school gym class came flashing back to me. The other girls didn't stop making fun of me for months. I cried to my mother about it so often that she considered putting me in private school.

"That was eighth grade, Jessica."

Four years had changed many things, but it didn't stop mean girls from still being mean.

"Oops," Jessica shrugged it off. Then she leaned in and said, "Looks like you still need it."

I clenched my fists, hearing how her gang of friends laughed at my expense. There was no reason at all to bring up something stupid that happened when we were kids. Frustration built in my chest until I could feel tears welling up.

Not wanting to give them any more fodder for bullying, I shoved past Jessica and stowed away in the bathroom. There was something so embarrassing about crying from anger; I always hated it.

I wiped my eyes carefully, trying not to smudge my makeup. I hadn't spent an hour on it just to have one bitchy comment ruin it all.

I was reapplying my mascara when Steph limped into the bathroom.

"What happened?" She asked immediately.

"Nothing. I was just... fixing my makeup," I said quickly. I hoped I sounded convincing enough that she wouldn't push any further. I didn't want to ruin her night.

Luckily, Steph was already preoccupied with her own crisis. "I broke my heel," she exclaimed, holding up the broken shoe to show me. I looked down and noticed she still wore the other one.

Forgetting about what had happened earlier, I sprang into action to help my little sister. I dug through my purse and found a small tube of super glue. I held my hand out for the shoe, and Steph obliged.

"Why do you have that in your purse?"

"Not my first broken heel." I glued the heel back onto the shoe and handed it back. "Now hold it like that until it dries, and then you should be good."

Steph's look of gratitude was worth a thousand mean comments. "Thank you, Kat. You're a lifesaver."

Warmth filled my chest. I wouldn't trade a thing in the world for my sister. If I had to deal with a few tears and unkind words to give her the night she deserved, then I was more than okay with that.