Chapter Three: Ew

|Kat|

March 30th, 1998

The Raw after Wrestlemania was an extremely difficult day for me mentally.

DX had a segment, of course. I let Paul speak for the rest of us. I didn't know if I could keep the tears at bay if I was handed the mic. It was tough enough already.

Dad had spoken to Paul and I both a while ago about the new angle we were launching. We needed a plan for when Shawn left.

We both agreed to it, but I didn't realize how painful it would end up being.

Not because of Paul; I trusted him, as one of my closest friends. Only because of what I just lost.

I zoned out during Paul's speech. I knew the gist. He had to bury Shawn and take on the reigns as the leader of DX.

Oh, and he had to declare that he and I were the new It couple.

Dad told us it would be the easiest way to explain me sticking around. It would help Paul get over, blah blah blah.

Shawn and I made money. That was it.

He was hoping Paul and I could recreate that popularity.

I just felt sorry for whatever poor sap had to scour old footage of us and cut together every time Paul and I happened to look at each other. They created a video package that made it seem like we'd been going behind Shawn's back all along. If he was watching, he wasn't going to have the best time.

After all, that was what he thought actually happened. I didn't know how he could be so blind.

I snapped out of my daze in time for Paul and I to kiss. Gasps traveled through the arena, as expected.

If we weren't heels before, we sure as hell were now.

I thought about how much everything had changed for me in the past 24 hours as Paul continued to speak.

He spoke about starting an army. "And when you start an army, when you set out to do what noone else can do, the first thing you do is you look to your blood. You look to your buddies, you look to your friends. You look... to the Kliq."

Kid's music hit as he walked down the ramp to us. Paul couldn't even wait until he got to the ring to jump down and pull him in for a hug. They made their way to the squared circle and I wrapped my arms around Kid as well. I was happy he was back. If there was one thing I needed at the moment, it was my friends.

"You okay?" he asked. Always concerned.

The events of the night before were obviously still a fresh wound. I called Joli when I got back to the hotel and she (and Kev and Scott, I assumed) got to hear the full story. Or my version, anyhow. I was sure Shawn had his own.

I was a mess on the phone, but they got the big idea. Shawn and I were no more. I was pregnant.

Joli was not happy at all. She threatened to track Shawn down herself and give him a piece of her mind.

Kid and Paul had a shorter discussion with me earlier, but at least on Paul's part, he knew enough already.

"Yeah, I'm alright," I lied. I pulled away so I could let him do his promo.

A sane person would probably have refused to carry on as usual so soon.

My father taught me that the show must go on. We had to continue with Degeneration-X, even though Shawn would have no part in it.