Chapter Twenty-Nine: My Other Half

|Kat|

January 2000

"Can you tease my hair like yours? I can't figure it out," I asked my sister.

I had tried for ages to copy her look, but it wasn't working. The only thing I knew how to do with my hair was a normal curl. While that was fine for my everyday look, it wouldn't do for tonight.

"Here," Steph answered, coming over to help.

We were, for the moment, the only two in the women's locker room. I was glad, so I could talk to my sister alone. While the other girls were nice enough, these were family matters.

"If you don't want me added to the storyline, I won't do it," I stated, watching in the mirror for any signs of discomfort on her face.

I was set to join the McMahon-Helmsley Era on Raw, alongside Steph and Paul. Scottie had just turned a year old a few months back, and this would be my first time on screen since I took maternity leave. I was nervous, of course, but ready to get back out there.

I was itching to start working again, especially after the training I'd been doing. Workouts almost daily, during Scottie's naptime, had helped get my body back into shape. I felt like I was going stir crazy at home.

"Why wouldn't I?" Steph asked. "I get to work with my sister."

I shifted in my seat. "I know the relationship story I had with Paul didn't sit right with you."

The relationship with Paul had always been a work, but it hurt Stephanie. She was crushing on Paul even then, and it pained her to see him kiss me on TV. She always tried to brush it off, but I knew the effect it had on her.

Steph paused while working with my hair. "I'm over that now. It was just silly little jealousy."

"Are you sure? I don't want to make you uncomfortable. Especially since you guys just started dating."

When Paul had finally made the leap and asked her out, I thought she might melt. It took a good bit of encouragement from my side, but they were finally in a good place. I didn't want to ruin that for them.

In the mirror, her eyes met mine. "I'm sure. There's no one I want out there with me more than you. Now stop squirming."

I did as she said. I decided to make light of the situation. After all, it was all for pretend. Why not have some fun? "You know, eventually they'll probably have us turn on each other and fight for him."

She grinned. "I hope I get to kick your ass at WrestleMania."

"Oh, I would wipe the floor with you," I said. "You haven't had the training I have."

Between Shawn and Paul, I had a pretty good background in wrestling holds and maneuvers. I was no expert, and hadn't had much of a chance to practice, but I knew the basics. Steph had barely even gotten into a ring.

"You'll just have to teach me," she answered. "All done." She stopped messing with my hair and posed next to me in the mirror. "Are you ready?"

I looked at the two of us, all dolled up with crazy hair and dark makeup. We had never looked more like sisters, and for that I was grateful. It comforted me that Steph (and Paul) would be by my side during this debut.

I let out a deep breath. "As ready as I'll ever be."

***

"I know I said I'd be the best maid of honor of all time, but all these color swatches are giving me a headache," I said, rubbing my temples. Steph and I had been poring over wedding decor options for what felt like hours.