Chapter Fourteen: Just Like Old Times

|Shawn|

December 1996

"Cheers! To your engagement," Paul said, raising his glass. It was filled with soda, rather than alcohol. Someone had to get us home.

We were sat in a little bar not far from the house. Kat insisted on inviting Paul over immediately to share the news, and I couldn't argue with her.

Kat raised hers as well. She didn't always drink, but this was a special night. "And to my father not murdering you yet."

I joined them in the toast. "Maybe that's why he had me drop the title to Sid."

Clink.

We all took a drink. For Kat's sake, I was going easy tonight. I didn't want to make her cart me home mere days after proposing.

"You'll get it back soon enough," Kat said, shaking her head slightly.

The future could only be looking up.

"I hope so. He promised this feud with Sid would be short. I don't know how much more of it I can take."

"Hey, Sid's an alright guy," Paul said.

"He is, but he's stiffer than shit in the ring." I winced thinking about how sore I was after matches with him.

Paul ordered another round for each of us. "I'm no doctor, but I don't think your shit is supposed to be that stiff."

Kat giggled. I couldn't tell if it was because of Paul, or the alcohol that she wasn't used to drinking.

"You think you're hilarious, don't you?" I asked.

"As a matter of fact, I do."

Kat jumped in. "Boys, no fighting. It's a night for celebration."

I wrapped an arm around her, pulling her closer to my side of the booth. I couldn't think of any better way to celebrate than with my two favorite people.

"He started it," I said.

"Seriously guys, congrats. I think you'll be together for a long time." Paul typically didn't say things he didn't mean.

If only he knew what was to come.

***

Upon seeing the structure they had built for the Elimination Chamber, my first thought was, there's so much we can do with this.

The thing was massive, made of thick chain that had no give whatsoever. My entire body ached just from looking at it. There was room outside of the ring, made from the same tough material, that I was sure we would end up in. My mind immediately started to race, imagining the spots we could pull off. I could even see one of us climbing the chambers.

This was a major opportunity. A new match type, and Paul handing over the championship. This was going to be one for the ages.

Shawn Michaels. Triple H. Chris Jericho. Kane. Booker T. Rob Van Dam.

Six talented guys in one match. Or chamber, rather. I had to hand it to Vince, he still knew how to book something great.

Waiting in the chamber for my turn to join the fray was agonizing. All I wanted was to get in there and join the action. Still, I couldn't help but wince when anyone hit that steel. Waking up sore was one part I was not looking forward to. However, it would be well worth it.