Chapter Twelve: I Just Found Out

|Shawn|

May 1998

The rain poured over my face as I stood, shivering, in front of the McMahon household. To call myself desperate would be an understatement.

I needed to see Kat. I needed to apologize. I needed her to take me back. I needed her to help me through what I going through.

Stephanie opened the door just enough to see who it was. When she recognized me, she didn't exactly give me a warm welcome.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she demanded. She crossed her arms over her chest, making it quite clear how slim my chances were.

"I need to see Kat," I pleaded.

"You need to leave." She stared at me coldly. I don't know what I expected.

"Steph, please, I just need to apologize. I miss her." I was in worse shape than ever.

All I could think about was Kat. 

"Stephanie, to you. And I said, you need to leave. Kat needs someone who can be there for her. All you've done is cause her a world of hurt."

She was right, and I knew it. "I just want to talk to her."

"If you ever step foot on this property again, I'm calling the police," she replied calmly. "You lost your right to talk to my sister."

That hurt. I didn't want to admit that I lost Kat until then. We were just taking a break. That's what I kept telling myself. I made myself believe she would come back. She had to.

"What makes you her protector?"

Steph sent me one last glare. "Someone has to be." She slammed the door in my face.

***

I braced myself for seeing Rebecca. I was ecstatic to have some father-son time with Cameron, but I never knew what his mother would throw my way. Sometimes it was almost like we were friends. We got along fine. Other times, I was the worst man in the world.

I could tell from her stance that it was going to be the latter. She did not step out of the way so I could enter her home. She stood firmly in the doorway, arms crossed.

"It was always her, wasn't it?" she demanded.

Of course she had seen the news of Kat and I. Vince was making sure it was plastered everywhere, from the tabloids to the news to online. There were rumors, speculation, and paparazzi photos of the two of us.

"Becca--"

"Don't." She put a hand up in front of my face. "I don't care. Cameron's taking a nap. I'll go get him for you."

I stood in the doorway, defeated. She hadn't even given me the chance to speak. There was nothing real going on between Kat and I. She had to be a fool to think there was.

And to insinuate that Kat was the only person I loved, that I never loved Rebecca? That was craziness. I fell in love with Rebecca the same way. Quickly. All at once.

Unfortunately, we fell out of love. It seemed to happen so fast, but it was a slow process. I couldn't help but think Rebecca felt she was living in Kat's shadow. It wasn't the case, but she was already convinced.

By the time we had argued and discussed the matter, we had come to the same conclusion. Our marriage just wasn't working anymore. We had both changed; we weren't the carefree people we had been when we met.