Chapter Thirty: I'm Yours

|Shawn|

Circa 2001

I was sleeping peacefully until I felt an object slam into my head. Opening my eyes in shock, I found that it was one of the couch pillows. Rebecca was standing over me, and light streamed in from the front windows.

"Wake up, Shawn."

"What time is it?" I asked, pushing the pillow away from my head. My brain was foggy.

She ignored me. "I'm leaving."

"What? Where are you going?" In my bewildered state, I barely knew what was happening. The mess of bottles and various pills on the coffee table helped clue me in to why I couldn't think well.

"I'm leaving you. I can't do this anymore, Shawn. I'm taking Cameron, and we're going to my parents' house."

That I understood. That terrified me. I sat up immediately. "Becca, I fucked up. I get it, but I'm going to do better, I swear--"

"Cam saw you."

My heart broke hearing those words. "Wh... What?" I asked softly. I hoped it wasn't true. That she misspoke.

"He was crawling all over you while you were passed out," Rebecca said. "He kept saying..." She sounded like she was about to cry. "He kept saying 'Daddy's asleep'."

"Oh my god." I hid my face in my hands. I had hoped my son would never see that side of me. I never wanted him to see me at my absolute worst.

"And you left all of this out, Shawn," she gestured to the disaster on the table. "What if Cam had gotten into any of it? Do you know what that would do to him? I had to call poison control."

I couldn't believe I had so carelessly put my son in danger. I loved him more than anything in the world. If I ever caused him pain, I didn't even know what I would do.

"Becca, I'm going to get clean. This... This is..." I couldn't even find the words to describe how disgusted with myself I was.

"This is how you are, Shawn. You told me you'd get clean when I got pregnant," she said. "But here we are. Cam's a year old now and you haven't gotten any better."

"Please, just don't take him away from me." I could understand needing space, but if Rebecca took my custody rights, I couldn't live with myself. I couldn't lose Cameron. "I can get better. I need help, I know that."

"If I stay here I am putting our son in danger."

Me. I was the danger.

"Becca..."

"I have to go. Cam's already in the car. I just couldn't leave without saying goodbye." The sob in her voice let me know she was definitely crying now.

I couldn't even get another word out before the door shut behind her.

***

We were at Kev's big comeback dinner, and I could barely pay attention to anything other than Kat's hand on my knee. We were the only ones left in the little worn-down Waffle House we found on the side of the road, with as late as it was. We had to wait until after the grand debut on Raw, of course. This was a celebration.

Since the tables weren't that big, we shoved a couple together so we could sit everyone. Kat and I sat on one side, with Steph, Paul, and Kev facing us.

Kat's hand slid up my thigh, causing my leg to involuntarily jerk. My knee hit the table as she pulled her hand away in shock.

"Sorry," she whispered.