Chapter Forty-Two: It's a Good Day

|Shawn|

October 1995

The club was never really Paul's scene, but he was a good enough friend to make sure I got back in one piece. Since he never drank much, he was my designated driver. With Kev, Kid, and Scott on an overseas tour, it was just the two of us against the world.

I headed for the bar immediately, determined to get completely fucked and let loose for the night. I downed a few shots before taking a look around. Finally, I spotted something of interest.

She was blonde, gorgeous, and alone. I slid into the seat next to her easily, ordering us a couple more shots. She smiled at me, which only encouraged me to continue my pursuit.

"You looked lonely," I explained. "Thought you could use some company."

She accepted the drink and clinked her glass against mine. "Do you dance, pretty boy?"

Boy, did I. The two of us were like magnets before long, swaying against each other in rhythm. Whenever we need a break to breathe, I popped back over to the bar to buy us some more drinks. The way things were going, I was sure she'd be coming back to the hotel with me.

I was only getting more drunk as the night wore on, and I was known for running my mouth even when I was sober. Really, I was an accident waiting to happen. When I felt someone shove me from behind, I was already prepared to spew some bullshit.

"That's my girl," he insisted. Suddenly, my blonde bombshell didn't seem as carefree.

I turned around slowly, taunting the guy with my stance in front of his girl. "If she's your girl, why's she dancing with me?"

"You don't know who you're messing with," he vowed. "Twelve years in the Marine Corps, buddy."

A military guy. I should've known. Having grown up on an Air Force base, I knew his type. Most of those guys talked a lot of shit but couldn't back it up. They used their status as a soldier to get away with shit.

"Doesn't mean shit to me."

He threw a punch that I dodged, albeit clumsily, and the big bad Marine cussed me out. I could visibly see his temper rising, but before either of us could do anything, we were approached by the bouncer.

"No fights in my club. Take it outside, boys."

I should've just let it go and retreated back to the bar with Paul, but I was in too deep. My chances with the girl were gone, but my thirst for trouble wasn't satiated yet. I wanted to get under this guy's skin and make his blood boil.

"You want the girl? You can have her. She's a butterface, really. You'd have to fuck her from behind to get any enjoyment out of it." I said.

The Marine lunged at me, but the bouncer shoved him back. "Out. Both of you." He escorted us both out of the side door, with the blonde not too far behind. I guess she wanted to support her man. After all the flirting she had been doing with me, I guess her conscience caught up to her.

The bouncer slammed the door behind us, and the Marine sent a punch to my jaw. It hurt, but I refused to sell the hit. "Ah come on, don't they teach you any better in basic? I've been hit harder on accident."

That must've struck one of his patriotic nerves, because he punched me so hard in my right eye that I fell to my hands and knees. While I was down there, he kicked me in the ribs strong enough to flip me over onto my back, and gave me a few more swift kicks for good measure.