Chapter 25

"Ouch," I sobbed because my left ankle twisted the second I landed on the ground from that tall wall surrounding Xander's home

It hurt so bad that I wanted to take some time to stay there and cry. I cursed.

I tried rotating my ankle but it freaking hurt almost as if thorns were poking my muscles. It was burning too. A red patch had formed around my ankle.

I had no time to cry over this.

I gazed down at the message on my phone.

Come to me, Selene. And I'll delete everything--I just want to talk to you. Defy my words and her corpse will reach you. Leave the phone behind, you don't need it. I'll know if you bring it. Remember I'm closer to her than you think.

Else I'd come to you. One way or the other, I'll have you with me, my beauty for you belong to me.

And did you know white stains deeply? How beautiful would it be if I were to just pull the trigger and the white canvas would be tainted in red?

There was a photo sent with the message. It was my mom. She was wearing her white top with jeans outside the station. Dad was beside her. They had left everything for me. The photo was taken up close and I knew this person wasn't bluffing. How could he when he had already done so much?

I had felt like the ground was taken away from my feet last night when I had gotten that message. For the first few minutes I had cried but then I felt numb mentally and physically. I simply couldn't decipher how to react. Everything felt like a lie. I felt as though everything would come to me and squeeze the life out of me in a heartbeat. I felt imprisoned. By this person and I hadn't even met or seen him.

Xander did try to talk through me but I couldn't open up. It was too much. My life used to be simple. So simple. Even when Xander came nothing big had changed. Although, yes, it was a major change given how different my life was before Xander but the change was beautiful. Not horrifying. I just fell in love and it was the best but after he was shot and last night's incident... my life was no longer a smoothly flowing river.

Xander had gone to do something but he failed. The way he looked at me let me know we failed. He, again, left. He didn't tell me what he was going to do. I didn't bother asking. I wasn't even thinking. My mind was just blank. Pictures were flashing in my head where I tried to figure out who this person was. His face was nowhere.

Seth and Markus were always around. Even they didn't notice. If they had noticed something unusual, they would've told dad. My heart stopped for a second. This person was smart. Too smart.

And the message... it disgusted me to my core. I shivered. The words were still fresh in my head. Who was this person? How could he? My stomach squirmed. This man could do anything to me.

Even Jasmine couldn't help me. She didn't have any words.

I only spoke a word or two to Brianna because the little girl looked stressed by looking at me. She didn't even have breakfast. So I talked with her a little. I loved her. And I wanted her to be happy at all times. This was a life she fought for and she deserved all the happiness in this world.