Chapter 43

"Brianna, baby, come here, don't trouble Selene," I said, attentive. There wasn't a day Brianna didn't ask me or anyone of Selene all this time.

Brianna ignored me as her eyes started to melt closed while she nuzzled he face against Selene's neck. 

"After she falls asleep-" I began but my sister cut me off annoyingly.

"I'm not sleeping." And yes, it looked like she was just closing her eyes, not intending to sleep. 

Selene shook her head gently, hugging Brianna fully. I didn't say anything again because it looked like Selene wanted the hug. She wanted to be with Brianna. 

"Did you go to school today," Selene asked. I was happy. Selene finally started to talk more. I was so proud of her for every normal thing she did whether it be talking or moving at all. I wanted to see her smile as well. Just once would be enough for now. 

Brianna placed a soft kiss on Selene's neck. My sister still looked the same as years ago but different too. She had grown up but was the same needy one when it came to love and affection with the people she wanted. It felt like only yesterday she was a newborn, fitting in just one of my hands.

"Yes. Alex said I can meet you today so after I returned from school, he bought me here." I had debated if it was a good idea to let them meet but Alex suggested that it'd be nice for Selene to be around the family. Turns out he was right.

"Are you hungry then?" Selene questioned.  It felt like a miracle--Selene speaking. 

"Alex bought me food on the way here," Brianna told her.

"Hmm," Selene hummed and looked at Alex, almost accusing thinking he must have bought her some junk food.

"Your child isn't as innocent as she seems," was the way Alex fended himself. He was looking at Selene with a thoughtful face. And so was Jasmine. Everyone had something on their mind. I had a feeling Jasmine had more than just some thoughts--she had some secrets. I could be wrong but the way... 

I shook my head to remove the thoughts.

"My baby is the most precious," Selene murmured and Brianna smiled looking at me.

Fuck, I used to think I was a numb empty person. I was so wrong because of all the emotions coming to me with every word or person around me. Just the words Selene spoke made me feel selfish or guilty. I didn't want to burden Selene with the responsibility of taking care of a child when her life just started even though she didn't complain about it. Brianna was my sister. My duty. Still... Selene and I belonged to one another.

"The dinner is ready, baby," Lucas spoke, joining us again. 

"Brianna," I said, trying to take her. I felt regretful for another reason. I hadn't been with Brianna. This was another reason why she was so needy right now. Even though it wasn't for me.

"No," she pretended to cry. 

"Brianna, Angel can't carry you. She's sick," I tried.

"Are you, Angel?" Brianna asked, cupping Selene's face with her small hands. 

"Just a little," Selene breathed out, trying to assure her. Angel looked so much better now. Being in a coma for seventeen days gave her time to heal. But her bullet wound was still there, hurting her. The bullet that pierced her wasn't a normal one like the two bullets that shot me.

"You can sit on my lap, baby girl," Lucas said, smiling gently at both Brianna and Selene.

"Okay," Brianna agreed and Lucas picked her up.

"Brianna is taking advantage of our love. She can sit by herself," Alex teased, getting a glare from Brianna.

Selene's eyes lightened up and I waited. Waited for her smile.