Chapter 41.5

"What was that?" I asked as he leaned against the wall beside the second door

"What was that?" I asked as he leaned against the wall beside the second door. "You wouldn't let Jasmine meet Selene, thinking she's unstable and you act like a madman in front of her. Why did you hit the wall? You must have scared her."

Xander breathed heavily, looking down at the floor. He had been making me so uncertain of himself even more since we found her.  He was unpredictable, caught up between worry for Selene and fury for Hudson.

I watched him trying to get control of his breathing with his eyes closed. 

What did he learn now? 

Before I could help him or ask him what went wrong, he fell to the floor on his knees and placed his hand over his mouth to stop the scream that was trying to leave him while he cried.

"H-he almost raped. He did assault her. He hurt her so much A-Alex." He screamed, holding his head. "She's so different now. I saw it. She doesn't love herself anymore the way she used to. There was loathing on her face when she saw herself in the mirror or touched her body. She's hurting so much."

I grabbed him by his shoulder and got him to stand up. "She's here now, brother," I said. There were no other words of comfort I could think of. We couldn't change what had already happened. And I, myself, had been struggling mentally. I couldn't understand why I was feeling this way. But I knew one thing. Xander and Selene... They were our family.

"She's here but nothing will ever change whatever happened to her. No power could take away everything he inflicted on her. She can't even look at herself without thinking of him," he whispered helplessly. I never imagined Xander to be like this. I didn't even think he'd find love--he wasn't looking for one. Even when I had started to talk with Jasmine about Xander and Selene could be the ones for each other, I never believed it would happen. 

"Common Xander, be strong. If not for yourself, for her. We have to get back inside. She needs you," I told.

"I can't look at her. Every time I see her, I am just reminded of how late I was," he said, swallowing. "God, she shouldn't have been taken by him in the first place. I had promised her that I wouldn't let anything happen to her. But I failed. All because I had to go to meet that fucking lawyer. If I hadn't I would've taken Selene home myself. He couldn't have taken her."

Xander pushed my hand off his shoulder and walked off to the other hallway. It was empty. The side where Selene's room was present on this floor had no other rooms or ways to come.

"It's not your fault Xander. He had been after her for a long time. It was never in your power. One day he would've taken her or done something else," I said.

Xander sighed, thinking. "It wasn't my fault but maybe I had the power to stop him. Maybe he wouldn't have done anything to her had I not been in her life. You and I both heard him clearly say to Lucas that the only reason he hurt her was that she loved someone that was not him--she loved me."