Beacon

Y/N POV

The sun rises on a new day. I fly off my perch onto the bed. I lightly nudge her cheek with my beak. She giggles waking up.

Ruby: "I'm up I'm up."

She sits up rubbing my head.

Ruby: "Preciate the wake up call N/N."

I chirp as she gets out of bed to get dressed. When she is I perch on her shoulder as she walks into the kitchen.

Tai: "Hey kid."

Ruby: "Hi dad."

Yang: "Morning N/N."

I caw.

Ruby: "So what're we having today?"

Tai: "For you, pancakes topped with whipped cream and strawberries."

Ruby: *star eyed* "Oooh."

When Ruby sits down I fly resting on the counter. There I watch everyone eat dinner when Ruby starts a conversation.

Ruby: "Hey dad."

Tai: "Yes kiddo?"

Ruby: "I had that dream again."

Tai: "Which one?"

Ruby: "The one where that guy visited me as a baby."

Tai: "What'd he look like this time?"

Ruby: "I faintly remember him having familiar appearance. And this feeling he gave me. Like he was similar to mom, but a boy. Did she have a sibling?"

Tai freezes.

Tai: "Yeah, she had a twin brother."

Ruby: "So I have another uncle?"

Yang: "I never knew this."

Tai: "That's because we don't talk about him."

Ruby: "Why what happened?"

Tai: "We don't know. When we lost your mother he just up and vanished. Since then we've never heard anything about him. We don't even know if he's still alive."

I look down. I feel bad for just dipping like that. The day Summer died I left to train with Ozpin. I wanted to tell them I was okay but Ozpin said not to. Said it was safer this way, helped keep Ruby safe. If he was right or not I don't know. But what I do know is that they all likely hate me for doing that.

Yang: "It's seven fifty, the airship'll be here in ten minutes!!"

They both scarf down their food then rush upstairs. When they exit the door I fly after them. They enter the airship as it takes off. I sit in the rafters when a projection of a woman is shown.

Woman: "Hello and welcome to Beacon."

Yang: "Who's that?"

Glynda: "My name's Glynda Goodwitch. And you're all among the select few who have the honor of attending the great Beacon Academy. While the world may be experiencing peace, it's your duty to uphold it. Therefore it's up to us to teach you the necessary requirements to complete this task."

The airship door opens revealing the great academy. I take flight north.

Ruby: "Where you going!?!"

I caw flapping my wings. I fly through the top window of Beacon Tower. I land spotting Ozpin sitting at his desk and Glynda by his side.

Ozpin: "Y/N, a pleasure to see you."

Through a rising swirl of smoke I transform to my human form. 

Y/N: "Been a while hasn't it?"

Ozpin: "Three years."

Y/N: "What can I say, needed a vacation."

Ozpin: "Well I'm glad to have you back."

Y/N: "Yeah."

Glynda: "Ozpin, it's time for your speech."

Ozpin: "Right, let's head that way. Care to join us?"

Y/N: "Sure."

I walk with them to the auditorium. When I get there I turn into my bird form and perch on Ruby's shoulder.

Ruby: "Where were you?"

Y/N: *caws*

Ozpin: "Greetings, all you have traveled miles to get here. To hone and perfect your skills. Once finished you plan to use your training to keep Remnant's citizens safe. But after getting a good look all I see is wasted energy. You think what you gain here will spare you from the burden of guidance. Well it won't, you'll learn quickly it's up to you to take the first step."

*that night*

I yawn when I hear Ruby scribbling. I look at her tilting my head.

Ruby: "It's a letter to dad. He said to tell him how I'm doing."

A match strikes making me look to see a girl in a black robe. I walk to her.

Girl: *lowers book* "What?"

I chirp while lightly spreading my wings. Ruby quickly snatches me up.

Ruby: "Sorry about that, he's just curious. I'm Ruby."

Blake: "Blake."

Ruby: "Well suppose we should head to sleep. Good night, and good luck tomorrow."

Blake: "Same."

Ruby walks us back to her sleeping bag.

Ruby: "Why did you do that?"

Y/N: *trills*

Ruby: "I hope you're not like this the entire time we're here."

Y/N: *chirp* 

She sighs.

Ruby: "Go to sleep. We'll need our energy for tomorrow."

She lays down going to sleep. I quickly join her.