Chapter 2

"Dear Y/n,

I hurt the most when lost, yet also when not had at all
I'm sometimes the hardest to express, but the easiest to ignore
I can be given to many, or just one
What am I?

Meet me at: (your favourite cafe) Tomorrow at 2:30pm.

Riddler. "

You reread the card over and over, your mouth agape. You couldn't believe it, he had written a riddle just for you and he wanted to meet you. 2:30pm...that was an hour after your interview, perfect!

Now all you needed to do was get some rest...and not stay up all night thinking about him. You hummed giddily as you got comfortable in your bed again, already thinking about what you'd say to him.

-timeskip to the morning-

You slipped into appropriate clothing for your interview. You were interviewing for a nearby book store, about a 10minute walk from your apartment. You were shocked by how convenient it was that they were hiring as you needed a job and they were so nearby.

After checking that you had everything you needed, you peered at Riddler's card for a moment before leaving the apartment. You locked the door and descended down the steps.

As you left the building, you peered up at the stairs along the side of the building..thinking of how Riddler had left on those steps. Your stomach flipped at the thought of seeing him again. You couldn't believe that you could see him today.

-timeskip again, just until after the interview-

You let out a sigh of relief as you smoothed over your shirt. The interview was easier than you had expected and you got on with the interviewer suprisingly well.

A small smile crossed your face as you began to walk from the bookstore to the cafe. You could've taken a taxi but it was only a 20min walk and you were trying not to spend too much.

The bell on the door of the cafe rang softly in your ears as you stepped into the cozy building. The scent of coffee beans and vanilla filled your nostrils. There was something incredibly comforting about this place..you were grateful that Riddler had picked it out...even if he chose it by stalking you on social media.

"Y/n! It's good to see you. A man over there ordered your usual for you." The usual barista welcomed you excitedly. Over time, you had become quite good friends with them

"Oh! Thank you!" You smiled as you peered over to Riddler.

"How come he wears a mask? I mean..I'm used to it..it's Gotham. But usually people with masks don't come into here." They asked.

You shrugged and laughed before walking over to where Riddler was seated. He had chosen a spot towards the corner, out of the way of foot traffic.

"Did you figure it out?" He hummed as you sat down across from him.

"Sorry?...oh! The riddle." You blushed. "Love."

"Hmm you really are as smart as I thought you were." Riddler tilted his head as he looked at you.

The blush on your face deepened at the compliment.

"You got my usual drink! I've been thinking about this all day....or more about you, I guess." You laughed at yourself, looking away from his gaze.

"I'm glad you came." He said softly, his eyes flicking over you.

"So am I." You smiled and looked up at him, catching those green eyes once again.

"You look very formal, busy day?" He peered at you.

"I just had an interview for the bookstore round the corner. Do you think I dressed too..posh?" You furrowed your eyebrows, annoyed that you couldn't think of a better word.