𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 33: 𝓢𝓮𝓮 𝓘𝓽 𝓑𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓴

Triggers: 🟡⚫️🔴🟣

The heavy, suffocating stress in Aki's body melted as soon as she burst through the door of the oracle room. Mikado, Teruya, Syobai, and Nikei were all there when she arrived. It felt like a dumbbell had been lifted off of her back as she panted with exhausted relief.

"Oh my God..." 

The others rushed in the large, castle-like doors shortly after, only slightly less winded than Aki.

"Woah, what is up with this room...?" Yuki asked curiously.

"Oh! Nikei!" Yoruko exclaimed.

"Yo, you're here." Nikei greeted calmly.

"And I see that Mikado's here as well," Sora added.

Aki cautiously walked up to Nikei, trying to recover her breath. He glanced down at her as he felt her pull gently on the sleeve of his coat.

"Hm, what is it?" he whispered, making Aki whine.

"You scared me...~"

Nikei huffed, eyeing Teruya and Syobai. The latter of the two also glanced over at the pair, a displeased glint twinkling in his grumpy silver eyes. The former, however, didn't even bother looking at anyone. Nikei only held eye contact with Syobai for a millisecond, but it was enough for him to become a bit anxious, and slightly dismiss Aki.

"I'm okay."

Mikado silently glared at the pair for a moment before directing his dull gaze to the rest of the gang.

"Where was this brat hiding anyway!?" Shinji growled.

Yuki, however, was startled by Mikado's deflated demeanor.

"Huh...He seems a bit...off."

"Everyone...I'm finished...There is simply...no hope left for me..." Mikado mumbled.

"What's up with him?" Sora tilted her head curiously.

"Moreover, Nikei! Who do you think you are, running about without telling us a thing!? You almost gave Aki a panic attack!" Yoruko glared.

"W-What's that supposed to mean? You guys have no right over what I'm doing. Don't act like you care about me." Nikei huffed.

That's when Nikei's unusual behavior clicked in Aki's brain. Teruya and Syobai were here.

"What did you say!?" Yoruko shouted.

Aki quickly stepped in to shush Yoruko. "Leave him alone...!"

"What?!"

Seeing Aki's anxious glint sent the click over to the hostess, who immediately gasped and recoiled.

"O-Oh, you're right...! Hmph. I don't know why I bothered to talk to you. Don't you dare speak to me! You disgust me. Stop defending him, Aki."

Syobai rolled his eyes. He could guess what was going on. Nikei was clearly friendly with the group again, and was trying to hide it from him, pathetically, might he add. But that didn't explain why Aki specifically had seemingly cut herself off from him in particular. Sure, they'd chatted in the tower earlier, but something about that conversation didn't sit right with him. It wasn't...the same. Yes, she appeared happier, which was a relieving thing. But it wasn't just her mood that changed. No, it was her demeanor around him.

But perhaps that was him. He expected her to feel awkward, considering everything that had transpired between them. But she was oddly...calm about it all. It was likely that she'd forgotten all about it, and that was why she was so upbeat. He couldn't even begin to wrap his head around the feelings he was experiencing. He wasn't used to feeling this much. All he knew was that there was a now apparent disconnect between the two of them, and he shockingly didn't like it.