𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 39: 𝓦𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓐𝓻𝓮 𝓜𝔂 𝓦𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓦𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓱

Triggers: 🟡⚪️🟣 (safe chapter for the most part!)

At around six AM the next morning, snow had somehow begun trickling down from an unknown above into the tower. If this hadn't been a virtual world, there would've been much confusion and panic among the group. But, only mild annoyance was given to it as they woke up, one by one.

Nikei was woken up by Aki because of this new weather. Since they were the first two to wake up that morning, they decided to build up the fire some more as everyone else started to stir. While working, however, Aki was clearly shivering, slowly but surely losing her tolerance to the brisk, winter air. And although the fire was helping with that chilliness, Nikei couldn't help but notice her discomfort.

As everyone got up from their table beds, they all immediately gravitated to the fire, huddling up in a semi-circle around the flame. Sora was the last one to join the cluster, stretching her arms and sitting up from her table, shivering.

"Ah, it's freezing...Is it already morning? Huh...?"

She blinked for a moment before tilting her head up to meet the snowflakes falling, one falling on her nose. She gawked, scrunching her nose to remove the cold particle. Yoruko, who had already accepted their wacky reality, called for Sora to come join the circle of warmth.

"Sora, you up? Come here to the fireplace and warm yourself up."

"This is snow...! Just...How...? We're inside a building, and it's snowing...! I know it's a virtual reality, but we're just gonna throw out the laws of nature, huh?" Sora huffed, reluctantly sitting down next to Yoruko.

Nikei, who had his arm draped around Aki's shoulder, spoke up with an explanation for Sora.

"Well, this virtual world was constructed to be one hundred percent identical to the real one. Things still should behave logically even if we're in a virtual reality."

"Then how do you explain Mikado's magic?" Yoruko asked.

The journalist simply shrugged. "He's an exception. I mean, he's the one who prepared this place after all..."

"But it seems like even he doesn't know what's going on this time..." Iroha whimpered, clearly in discomfort from the cold.

"He might be playing dumb...But pressing him seems useless at this point." Sora rolled her eyes.

Aki nodded, resting her head against Nikei's shoulder. "It's not worth the hassle."

"That aside, what are Yuki and Shinji up to?" Sora questioned, looking around to see where they were.

"Yuki seems completely unphased. He's investigating the books with a pretty serious face right now. As for Shinji..."

Shinji was still sitting on his table, looking to be zoned off into another world of swirling thoughts.

"Oh yeah, I forgot. He hates snow..." Aki frowned worriedly.

"He's been silent ever since he got up..." Iroha pouted.

"Shinji," Sora called, to no avail.

"He said he had PTSD about snow? He seemed fine inside the tower up until now..." Nikei grimaced.

"What should we do...? Aren't we in a pretty bad situation? Yuki is beyond control and if Shinji's like that..." Yoruko worried.

"I think we should keep investigating." Aki insisted.

"Aki..." Yoruko turned to her.

"Shinji's right. Investigating is our best bet right now. We have to keep holding out until we find something. Anything to get us out of here..."