𝒫𝓇𝑜𝓁𝑜𝑔𝓊𝑒

Triggers: 🟤🟣🟡🟠🔘🔵🟢

Life always starts so simply, like a fairytale. Two people meet, fall in love, and live happily ever after. But no one ever sees the not-so-pretty parts of fairytales. Who wants to? 

It was easy to use that analogy for renowned journalist editor, Kai Ichiro. A woman who was described as classy, hardworking, and strong. She always came off a little cold to her coworkers, but everyone knew she had a heart buried in all her paperwork. Though no one ever took the time to search for it. Anyone who tried to was dismissed quickly in favor of staying on task.

But that was even hard on Kai at times, as city life brought forth higher expectations for success. So she'd find herself at night in the downtown bar, sipping dry wine as she edited rookie writers' papers.

One night, however, someone would finally be able to crack the woman's thick wall.

He came in clumsily trotting into the bar. He seemed to be a regular as the bartender greeted him cheerfully.

"Ah, Daichi! How are ya, good sir?"

The man sighed. "Exhausted. Can I get my usual?"

"Sure, how are your inventions coming along, eh?"

Daichi sat down on a barstool away from Kai, who was on her laptop while sipping a red zinfandel.

"I've been in such a slump lately. No matter how hard I try, I can't pitch anything to anyone. Guess nothing in the world's really original anymore, so..."

Kai glanced over at him. He looked like he just fell out of bed, his ruby red hair tousled and falling in his face. His dress shirt was wrinkled as well. But he was kind of cute, in a quirky way.

"Don't give up, Daichi! I'm sure someone will take your pitch. People need to keep creating or life'll just get boring."

"Heh, yeah. I hear you."

Daichi grabbed his drink and took a large sip, leaning back a bit. That's when he noticed the lady beside him. He had to adjust his glasses to see her, but his eyes widened when he did. Her pink hair was tied back in a bun on the lower half of her head, and her peridot eyes seemed to twinkle in the lowlight. She was the prettiest thing he'd ever seen, despite her pouty expression.

She was about at the end of her glass of wine, signaling for Daichi to flag the bartender.

"And uh...another drink for this lady here."

She glanced up, now being able to fully see his orange eyes. They were bright, like tangerines, warm and inviting.

She scoffed. "You didn't have to do that."

"Please, it's nothing at all, miss. You look hard at work, don't want you to lose your flow."

She smirked for a moment before turning back to her laptop, typing.

"An inventor, huh?"

"Hm? O-Oh, yeah. Been tinkering all my life. What about you? Writer?"

"Close. I'm an editor for The Asahi."

He flinched. "R-Really? Wow, what an honor that must be!"

She shrugged. "It's nothing, really."

There was a pause before she spoke up again.

"Kai Ichiro."

"Huh?"

"My name is Kai Ichiro. Your name is Daichi, yes?"

"A-Ah, yes, yes! My apologies. Daichi Ezume. That's my name." He blushed, stumbling a bit.

"Hm...tell me about your inventions, Daichi. I need something to listen to while I work." she hummed flatly.